AROD fights back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 16, 2017
ARod. “Get behind the ball”

May have to turn your sound up a little.

I mean..... how can the same person be totally sincere (as I believe he is) and say "stay behind the ball" but then say all of the outright nonsense that is in his debunking launch angle video. What a weird world we live in when someone as great of a player as ARod can make a video that is full of a bunch of misrepresentations, straight up BS.

I believe he watched that hit (in 4 girl's dad video) and saw what we all see. And without his preimplanted propaganda of swing down made an obvious observation and was totally unaware that it completely conflicts with his "feel" ideas.

Oh how I would pay to have ARod break his swing down piece by piece just like Donaldson did on the MLB network. That will never happen though. They know better.

A bad teacher teaches swing down, A good teacher teaches attack from the top. Both are trying to relate the idea of keeping the hand high throughout the swing but one method will likely produce a really bad result if it is actually followed.

Donaldsons queue of getting the lead arm above the plane of the pitch is the best queue I have heard.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017
What does he mean?

If it takes someone who is infatuated with hitting as you and I and a lot of the people on this board to interpret this into something else then it is basically useless. On top of that it really takes you (and very few others) as most people on this board are complete students of swing mechanics and still don't "really understand" what he actually means. Great, that means ARods video is good for about .00001 percent of the population. That is why it is a bad teach.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Imbedded in your quote...

Buffer was just another word for ‘blocks’ impedes swing momentum.

When the ‘running start’ per your words is only activated through the front oblique which gives the front leg it’s ability to leverage the frontside. Other wise it’s active. Correct? So if it activates through the front leg via ground force. Why the need to term it 1-legged? It clearly needs 2 legs.

If what you mean by 1-legged is keeping it loaded until launch. Ok. We were clearly not speaking of the same thing.

When I comment on 1-legged it’s from TMs AJ or SBs examples(his students) or J Soriano’s. I don’t see these absolute core actions you and I are in agreement about(which needs 2 legs). But I don’t think you are all in with TMs stuff so I don’t see the need to let me know what I’m misinterpreting. Get what I mean? His pattern is not your pattern right? His is uphill with a tilt to stay back even more so he can leverage the barrel into its swing path , so he could be ‘behind the ball’. Clearly the front leg is just used to not fall down. Nothing more.

I will use this terminology now just for you: I will refer to it as rear legged hitting. Not 1 legged hitting Fair? After all TM likes the back hip pivot point and you like the front oblique per running start. Sound good?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If it takes someone who is infatuated with hitting as you and I and a lot of the people on this board to interpret this into something else then it is basically useless. On top of that it really takes you (and very few others) as most people on this board are complete students of swing mechanics and still don't "really understand" what he actually means. Great, that means ARods video is good for about .00001 percent of the population. That is why it is a bad teach.

I was being sarcastic. Thought you would interpret that... the being behind the ball cue is just his way of staying leveraged to get the proper angle into the ball.nothing to do with his swing path. He’s swinging down. FYB.

Like Edgar: notice how his bathead stays up the whole time.

Here’s a few more: staying behind the ball

Both pros have been quoted as saying they swing down. Just like in a game. I said it in the beginning of this thread ‘add tilt’ walaa elite swing path. Of course how you get to ‘tilted’ matters.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Buffer was just another word for ‘blocks’ impedes swing momentum.

When the ‘running start’ per your words is only activated through the front oblique which gives the front leg it’s ability to leverage the frontside. Other wise it’s active. Correct? So if it activates through the front leg via ground force. Why the need to term it 1-legged? It clearly needs 2 legs.

If what you mean by 1-legged is keeping it loaded until launch. Ok. We were clearly not speaking of the same thing.

When I comment on 1-legged it’s from TMs AJ or SBs examples(his students) or J Soriano’s. I don’t see these absolute core actions you and I are in agreement about(which needs 2 legs). But I don’t think you are all in with TMs stuff so I don’t see the need to let me know what I’m misinterpreting. Get what I mean? His pattern is not your pattern right? His is uphill with a tilt to stay back even more so he can leverage the barrel into its swing path , so he could be ‘behind the ball’. Clearly the front leg is just used to not fall down. Nothing more.

I will use this terminology now just for you: I will refer to it as rear legged hitting. Not 1 legged hitting Fair? After all TM likes the back hip pivot point and you like the front oblique per running start. Sound good?

I think 1-legged and rear legged are synonymous. I believe Rich uses the name HLP ( high level pattern ) to describe his philosophy. Honestly, you can call it whatever you want to. I think the members at DFP are smart enough to figure things out for themselves.

I do want to thank you for the back and forth discussion. It has prompted me to want to learn more about Rich's philosophy. What I know about 1-legged/rear-legged hitting I have learned from other people, some of which had close dealings with Rich back in the day (some were part of the "purge"). I'm curious to know more about the differences between my beliefs and his. I happen to know a person that teaches the HLP as Rich calls it, so I plan to meet with him this summer to discuss it in greater detail.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I was being sarcastic. Thought you would interpret that... the being behind the ball cue is just his way of staying leveraged to get the proper angle into the ball.nothing to do with his swing path. He’s swinging down. FYB.

Like Edgar: notice how his bathead stays up the whole time.

Here’s a few more: staying behind the ball

Both pros have been quoted as saying they swing down. Just like in a game. I said it in the beginning of this thread ‘add tilt’ walaa elite swing path. Of course how you get to ‘tilted’ matters.

Look at how early Chipper gets set/loaded. Then it's like , hover, swing.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
It is not uncommon in sports for great players to describe their mechanics in ways that do not match what high speed video shows to be true. My introduction to this was with the great Jack Nicklaus, who wrote an instructional book and within a year was admitting that he was wrong. He said that his play deteriorated when he tried to swing the way he thought he swung. He eventually went back to his original teacher and got straightened out.

Somebody brought up Jenny finch as a case in point. My daughter took pitching lessons from former All-American, Olympian, and NPF player Danielle Henderson. She taught wrist snap-HE. She allowed me to take video of one of her practice sessions as she prepared for the NPF season. She did not pitch what she taught. When I showed her the high-speed video that I had taken and asked her about it she basically said that the video lied and that she did actually pitched the way she taught. She said "It's in there you just can't see it".

Andre Agassi said that on his forehand he rolled his wrist into contact, video shows that he rolls his wrist after contact.

Great players may make good coaches but they rarely make good instructors, there is a big difference between the two.

The Hanson Rule rules, if you can't see it, it's not in there, no matter what some All Star says.

Nov 16, 2017
It is not uncommon in sports for great players to describe their mechanics in ways that do not match what high speed video shows to be true. My introduction to this was with the great Jack Nicklaus, who wrote an instructional book and within a year was admitting that he was wrong. He said that his play deteriorated when he tried to swing the way he thought he swung. He eventually went back to his original teacher and got straightened out.

Somebody brought up Jenny finch as a case in point. My daughter took pitching lessons from former All-American, Olympian, and NPF player Danielle Henderson. She taught wrist snap-HE. She allowed me to take video of one of her practice sessions as she prepared for the NPF season. She did not pitch what she taught. When I showed her the high-speed video that I had taken and asked her about it she basically said that the video lied and that she did actually pitched the way she taught. She said "It's in there you just can't see it".

Andre Agassi said that on his forehand he rolled his wrist into contact, video shows that he rolls his wrist after contact.

Great players may make good coaches but they rarely make good instructors, there is a big difference between the two.

The Hanson Rule rules, if you can't see it, it's not in there, no matter what some All Star says.

"The Hanson Rule rules, if you can't see it, it's not in there, no matter what some All Star says." /endthread?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd