AROD fights back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
KiEEohz.gif
Thanks. Great clip

Nov 16, 2017
So if you believe the role of the top hand is to act more like pivot point than a generator of energy then that is what disproves the ARod video. Basically if you believe this

You can't swing down because you would lose the top hand as a pivot point. The swing down ARod demonstration starts early separation loosing the top hand as a tension point.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
A-Rod as well is doing everything possible to not supinate the rear forearm and dump the barrel.

jzIoqVr.gif

Nov 16, 2017
He's doing everything possible to avoid supinating the forearm and dumping the barrel.

SBpeFWg.gif

As anyone should. Dumping the barrel is bad. The solution to it is not to cure it by doing the exact opposite bad thing. Maybe that works as a corrective measure to someone who is constantly dumping the barrel and under pitches but the better approach would be to understand why dumping the barrel and too steep of an approach are both bad. The key to finding this is the lead arm being above the plane of the pitch and the top hand elbow getting slotted and acting like a pivot point.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
As anyone should. Dumping the barrel is bad. The solution to it is not to cure it by doing the exact opposite bad thing. Maybe that works as a corrective measure to someone who is constantly dumping the barrel and under pitches but the better approach would be to understand why dumping the barrel and too steep of an approach are both bad. The key to finding this is the lead arm being above the plane of the pitch and the top hand elbow getting slotted and acting like a pivot point.

View attachment 14164

Hard for me to argue against what these guys are demoing from a feel perspective because I did something similar.. I never had issues with chopping down and swinging around out front when transitioning to live.. For me it was more about maintaining the radial/ulnar deviation through out the whip down towards the ball.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017
forearm supination I don't think is what these guys are fighting against. I think they are fighting a sense of dipping under and getting the lead arm too high. You hear Trout talking about "chicken wing". If you look at the pic of Donaldson above and raise the lead arm the barrel is going to be under or dumped. Chicken winging mainly occurs because the hands initially drop too far down so when they try to work the lead arm up it creates a steep angle back to the point of contact.

I get it. The sense of swinging down stops the hands from going down too far and then have to work back up. If you feel like you are swinging down your hands are in a constant state of going down to the ball and never go under the ball. It is a feel cheat that must be put in a proper context to make sense.

A better queue would be to swing so you hands go arm pit to arm pit with posture to adjust for pitch height. While not perfect due to balls outside and low it is way way better than swing down ARod demo style.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

SC is speaking of a push swing. Core and hands go together.

The core must get ‘in front’ then the back elbow ‘slots’ and supports a short path to the ball. This is the initial ‘giddy up’

The back elbow supports the barrel so it doesn’t dump. Then the bat ‘shows up’. Second ‘giddy up’. Whip. Kinetics. Sequence.

Miggy s tutorial it was called ‘palm up’. Same thing. They know what they do.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

SC is speaking of a push swing. Core and hands go together.

The core must get ‘in front’ then the back elbow ‘slots’ and supports a short path to the ball. This is the initial ‘giddy up’

The back elbow supports the barrel so it doesn’t dump. Then the bat ‘shows up’. Second ‘giddy up’. Whip. Kinetics. Sequence.

Miggy s tutorial it was called ‘palm up’. Same thing. They know what they do.

Yea, the push out front will happen if you don't get into the fyb leveraged position before the core (obliques ) contract to whip the barrel..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd