Wrist Snap Throwing Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2012
Orange County
Hi there! I'm new to this forum, so excuse me if this has been discussed before.

I use the wrist snap drill as part of my throwing progression drill, which is something I was taught and have learned from other coaches. But lately I've had some parents and other coaches say it's a drill that shouldn't be taught anymore.

I'd like to hear what others think about this drill, and why it's not a good thing to teach.

Thank you!!!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I agree. No to snaps. There are a lot of really good threads here on this site about correct mechanics. Look in the stickies, too. Welcome to DF.com.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
There is a throwing thread in the fielding section of the forum that has some good links to some stuff by Austin Wasserman regarding the wrist snap throwing drill.

My thoughts on the drill are that I do not snap my wrist when I throw. There is a whip but it is a forearm whipping not a wrist snap so I do not use wrist snaps for any throwing exercises. The hard part of teaching throwing is it's dynamic nature, I think the wrist snap drill is a misguided attempt to break the complicated motion down too far based on someone's interpretation long ago of what good throwing mechanics are.

I am a fan of breaking complicated motions down to smaller pieces, but only if those pieces maintain their integrity as it relates to the whole.

The seated/behind the head throwing drill that Wasserman uses feels much closer to a good breakdown of the motion. It is a pass through position in the full throw, but the torso contribution and arm position all dovetail nicely into the full throw.

So I am not a fan of the wrist snap.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

This link ^ is a great introduction to learning how to throw the ball properly. Wasserman's information is the best I've found on throwing mechanics - by far. There are a lot of people teaching the same archaic crap, but once you feel the right pattern for yourself, you realize just how wrong things like wrist-snaps and L-drills are.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
This link ^ is a great introduction to learning how to throw the ball properly. Wasserman's information is the best I've found on throwing mechanics - by far. There are a lot of people teaching the same archaic crap, but once you feel the right pattern for yourself, you realize just how wrong things like wrist-snaps and L-drills are.

I just purchased the e-book on Saturday. Looking forward to implementing it with my 9-10 year olds when practice starts this weekend. I expect some funny looks when I break out the water bottle drill and assign it as home work for the next 2 weeks.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I just purchased the e-book on Saturday. Looking forward to implementing it with my 9-10 year olds when practice starts this weekend. I expect some funny looks when I break out the water bottle drill and assign it as home work for the next 2 weeks.

I bought it last week. I have seen a lot of the information in other Wasserman articles, and various video clips, but the complete detail in the e-book is great, especially for coaches.

Oct 10, 2011
water bottle

I put colored water in mine when we started and taped a tennis ball on the end .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle