The Wrist

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
What I hope you’ll notice is that the arm maintains about the same degree of flexion/bend throughout the release.

The lower arm is pulled down by the upper arm. The upper arm pauses at the torso as the whole unit rotates within the shoulder socket. ***Watch the orientation on the bicep and palm throughout the fastball release. They maintain the almost SAME orientation from 8 o’clock until the fingertips lose contact with the ball. Only then do you see the wrist begin to flex and the forearm pronate into follow through.

Mr. K.B. /\ is spot on!!!

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
When I do my example of how silly it looks for a baseball pitcher to stick his arm straight up, lock his elbow and do "wrist snaps" everyone laughs but, I always ask "If it's silly for them, it's silly for us too, right?"
I wouldn't use this if you are in a place where cricket is popular.

Aug 12, 2014
Buffalo, NY
@ArmWhip But would you agree that there still is no "wrist snap" (extension/flexion) in that cricket video? It's the forearm pronating and more or less the shoulder being the axis of the centripetal force creating the velocity.

Attachments

• cricketgif.gif
    cricketgif.gif
    4.9 MB · Views: 11
Aug 21, 2008
I wouldn't use this if you are in a place where cricket is popular.

I lived and played in 2 countries where cricket dominated. And I even played cricket while there and I bowled in a few games (the cricket version of "pitching"). It's very difficult and unnatural. And @Rosey is right, the wrist still isn't used in the same way it is in baseball, where the elbow leads the way on it's whip. So, even at a cricket match, you don't see people warming up with the arm locked and snapping only the wrist!!! I can promise you that. Plus, it needs to be stated, because they cannot use their elbow, the "bowler" gets his/her velocity by allowing a substantial run up. They get a running start, sometimes it's a pretty significant run up too.

When a cricket bowler cheats by using his elbow, it's called "chucking" and is considered their version of an illegal pitch.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
@ArmWhip But would you agree that there still is no "wrist snap" (extension/flexion) in that cricket video? It's the forearm pronating and more or less the shoulder being the axis of the centripetal force creating the velocity.
I would say it's about the same as what you see in baseball, which is generally less than most people think.

Oct 29, 2022
Hey everyone, just like I said during my introduction, I have been out of the softball circle 6 or 7 years and now that I have 2 granddaughters who have shown some interest in pitching, I was wondering what you guys are talking about, when IR is mentioned. What is IR?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Hey everyone, just like I said during my introduction, I have been out of the softball circle 6 or 7 years and now that I have 2 granddaughters who have shown some interest in pitching, I was wondering what you guys are talking about, when IR is mentioned. What is IR?
Look at the second locked thread in this forum, I/R in the Classroom, it's all explained there. There is also a locked IR thread. If you're going to start working with your granddaughters take the time to look through these threads. Good pitching mechanics are different from what most people believe.

Jan 25, 2022
This is the time to go with IR. Put in the hard work now while they're young. If you get an instructor, make sure they teach IR. And don't let anyone tell you it doesn't matter..lol. You can look for Tincher certified instructors, or go to paulygirlfastpitch.com and look for a HPP coach there. Not everyone listed there is a profesional instructor, but many are.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Well that doesn't negate the fact that 99% of them do it.
I keep a bowler’s wrist brace in my bag for when parents, coaches or students ask about wrist snaps.

1) I have them throw 10 pitches—keeping everything loose and relaxed, then record the average speed.
2) Throw 10 more—trying to get a good wrist snap, then record and average the speed.
3) Put on the wrist brace, throw another ten, find the average—then compare the speeds of all 3 sets.

It is a very eye opening demonstration. (Thank you @Rick Pauly for sharing this demo!)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478