Wrist Snap Throwing Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I put colored water in mine when we started and taped a tennis ball on the end .

yeah I figured for 9-10 year olds colored water would be a big hit.

The tennis ball is a neat concept. Did you cut it and put it over the bottle or just use duct tape directly?

Oct 10, 2011
I put colored water in mine when we started and taped a tennis ball on the end .

yeah I figured for 9-10 year olds colored water would be a big hit.

The tennis ball is a neat concept. Did you cut it and put it over the bottle or just use duct tape directly?
I cut it and put the end in, but ended up using a little gorilla tape to make it more secure.
She actually got sore the first time we did it.

Oct 10, 2011
pic

I cut it and put the end in, but ended up using a little gorilla tape to make it more secure.
She actually got sore the first time we did it.

Can you post a pic when and if you get a chance?
Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it anymore. We used it right after Austin came out with his book for a while. We don't use it anymore. Basically you just slice the tennis ball and press the cap and of a water bottle into the slit. I cut a tiny X into the ball. I then just wrapped a little bit of tape around the top of the bottle and around the ball. I sent Austin a photo of it and he said he was thinking about designing a product similar to that. Before doing that, I put purple colored water into the bottom third of the bottle.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I don't think wrist snaps are harmful, but I do believe they're a waste of time. The L-drill, on the other hand, can be harmful. I think that way of teaching (encouraged by none other than me) was a culprit in my DD's shoulder problems last fall. I've tried to rebuild it using Austin's book.

I also give you credit for hearing parents. Sometimes they're right. :) My DD went to a tryout last weekend where coach had them doing wrist snaps. If that were my DD's team, I'd probably grin and ignore that. But if it were L drills, I might have to say something.

Funny thing was that I was sitting next to my DD's former head coach during this tryout. I wanted to say, ''You know, that's a waste of time'' -- except that he used to order flip drills, as well.

Oct 10, 2011
mirror

Instead of doing the water bottled drill now, she faces a mirror that is secured well on the wall and throws a foam ball to herself while watching her form. We mainly work on the infield throw while doing that. Sometimes we use a weird cue that her forearm is full of water, and the water flows out from her hand during the glove break portion of the throw until she reaches stretch etc...
Similar idea to the water staying at the bottom of the bottle. I hope this makes sense even though it may seem strange :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle