Fundamentals of throwing the softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
Throwing is a continuous motion. You've probably seen plenty of 6-10YOs (or older in rec) field the ball, stand straight up, and "assume the position" where they look like a weathervane (or lawn sprinkler) - standing sideways with their arm cocked behind them.

To paraphrase Wasserman - When you throw, you don't get TO a position, you should be moving THROUGH a position.

Teach the movement, not the static check-points.

Apr 30, 2018
The water bottle drill is a good first step. It is done in slow motion. If you do it fast centrifugal force keeps the water pinned to the bottom of the bottle and you don't feel the water shift. This drill teaches what Gags was talking about throwing thru an arm position.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Apr 30, 2018
If you go straight from the water bottle drill to throwing hard the girls will be right back to their old habits. Transition from the water bottle drill to throwing from short distance slowly. It will feel/look a little weird because they will be doing this big outfield throwing windup in slow motion and only throwing it 15-20ft. I personally do this almost every practice to work on training my brain on the correct arm pathway. When I do this with a new girl they often get scared because it looks like I'm about to throw a 90mph fastball at them from 20' away and it ends up being a gentle lob that you can catch bare handed. As I am getting older it also works nicely as an easy warm up to slowly loosen up my arm.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
Illinois

This is the video I use the most when teaching a young girl how to throw.

Add me to the list of this video is outdated. I personally do not believe that the ball should be facing backwards at any point in the throwing motion. MLB infielders do not normally point the ball backwards during their throwing motion. Occasionally you will see an outfielder that may point the hand in a somewhat backwards position but it is still not what I would call the norm . The video also mention that the bow and arrow throwing motion is not good. I would disagree with that comment.

Francisco Lindor throwing motion. I would call this more of a bow and arrow type throw. Throwing does not get much better than this as far as routine infield throws go.

Nate Trosky is another advocate for the bow and arrow throw. I would estimate that 90% of a players throws in the infield should be done this way.

Here some outfield throws.

Feb 13, 2021
Add me to the list of this video is outdated. I personally do not believe that the ball should be facing backwards at any point in the throwing motion. MLB infielders do not normally point the ball backwards during their throwing motion. Occasionally you will see an outfielder that may point the hand in a somewhat backwards position but it is still not what I would call the norm . The video also mention that the bow and arrow throwing motion is not good. I would disagree with that comment.

Francisco Lindor throwing motion. I would call this more of a bow and arrow type throw. Throwing does not get much better than this as far as routine infield throws go.

Nate Trosky is another advocate for the bow and arrow throw. I would estimate that 90% of a players throws in the infield should be done this way.

I like the second video! Very informative!

Feb 13, 2021
Throwing is a continuous motion. You've probably seen plenty of 6-10YOs (or older in rec) field the ball, stand straight up, and "assume the position" where they look like a weathervane (or lawn sprinkler) - standing sideways with their arm cocked behind them.

To paraphrase Wasserman - When you throw, you don't get TO a position, you should be moving THROUGH a position.

Teach the movement, not the static check-points.
I know what you mean but I think the little kids need to see it broken down sometimes because they throwing so wacky. I tell them to put it together and do the motion faster once they understand the right movements. Thanks for sharing!

Feb 13, 2021

Love those outfield throws!! That's what the girls need to see. There's definitely a difference between and outfielder throwing vs. an infielder. I'll share these this the coaches and parents and maybe they'll inspire the girls to work on their arms! Thanks

Feb 13, 2021
Good softball infielders do not point the hand or the ball backwards either. These two players throw from different arm slots but they do not point the ball or hands backwards like demonstrated in the Mike Candrea video.

Love those videos! I agree about learning to use the different arm slots. That's a great tool once they get down the correct way to throw. Something for these girls to aspire to! Huge difference between outfield throws and infield throws. I'm definitely sharing these videos with the team!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee