Workouts vs tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
What is the difference? Are girls that are wanting to tryout required to attend all workouts in order to make the team?

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
Usually calling something a "workout" is to make it a little more casual. Teams that are pretty set with returner but looking to add a player or two might call their tryouts workouts and run them more like practice. In terms of being the player looking to join you want to do a lot of the same things you would in a tryout- hustle, make extra effort, don't get discouraged... But just be prepared that you might be one of few (or the only) people trying out. Need to check with the team about attending all or not.

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
I should have been more clear in my post. My dd's middle school are having 4 workouts this month and tryouts will begin once school starts. My dd can only attend 2 workouts. I am worried that this will look bad. Any thoughts?

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
Oh totally different- I would say its probably more of an actual workout, maybe a strength and conditioning circuit of some sort. If possible I would just communicate with the coach when she can/can't be there and express your interest in playing. If its a good reason to miss I might share that, if not I would keep it generic. Good luck!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I would say just make sure she lets the coach know when she will be there and have her express her interest. Attending the workout should not be a prerequisite to getting on the team. But the coach needs to know that she is interested and committed. Once she is on the team she needs to be at every workout, no excuses including homework. I expect the same of my TB players. Preparing themselves to play college softball comes before anything else. For a multitude of reasons missing a workout/practice because they have too much homework is rarely acceptable.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
It's an important topic especially for working age girls. In Ohio, the OHSAA rules forbid coaches from requiring players to participate in their off season program. Middle schools are bound by OHSAA rules as well. I can say from personal experience that despite rules being in place to protect the players that coaches will use this against players who are not the top performers in their program.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13