Switching Load Mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
? Are you saying you want coaches to just be managers?

Technical position has its own technical pitching coach.
?Are you saying get rid of that?

View attachment 30025

what about all the hitting instruction feedback from college coaches, what say you on that? 🙂🤔
What I am saying is the best programs recruit players that are talented at their craft, hitting or pitching and let them use the mechanics that got them there. Think Oklahoma.Tweak here or there or trying something a little different is ok BUT to completely overhaul someone mechanics into a one size fits all approach could/would be detrimental to the players and probably the program.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
What I am saying is the best programs recruit players that are talented at their craft, hitting or pitching and let them use the mechanics that got them there. Think Oklahoma.Tweak here or there or trying something a little different is ok BUT to completely overhaul someone mechanics into a one size fits all approach could/would be detrimental to the players and probably the program.
But some girls got there despite poor mechanics. Maybe the athletic ability or power helped them reach their level, but it would be foolish of a coach not to correct a flaw he or she sees in a girl that might make them even better.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
“In sports, why do we think that there is only one way to do things?,” JT said. “I know there are some constants that help you move faster or swing the bat faster, but the way that people do things is different. So if you're not aware of some uniqueness of different people, you may be telling someone to do something that they physically can't do.”
“He doesn’t try to make each hitter the same as each other,” Jennings said in episode three of OU’s Championship Mindset series. “He works with your skills, your strengths, your weaknesses.
and
from Kens article
We’ve all been there. We have a player who turns out to be great, or we watch what great players do, and we study them intensely to figure out what they’re doing so we can replicate it with all our other players.

But then when we try to apply what we’ve learned we find it works really well for some, pretty well for others, and little or not at all for the rest. Some even see their performance level go down or even get hurt trying to implement what we’re telling them.

How can that be? we wonder. We did our due diligence and we know what we’re saying works. We’ve seen it work. So why isn’t it working here?

The answer is very likely to be related to something called “motor preferences®,” which can be simply defined as working with the way each body is designed to move from birth.
So while some players may be totally aerial or terrestrial, most will fall somewhere along a spectrum in-between those two extremes.

I am not saying coaches don't have to coach, they do. But what I am saying there are stick in the mud, my way or the highway coaches out there that would be well served if they opened their mind, read a book or went to a clinic to become a better coach. A good coach should always be trying to learn. I know personally JT Gasso knows the difference between aerial and terrestrial (I believe he is certified) and uses it in his coaching while many or most coaches have never heard of it.

Now I want to hear what the pitching instructors think of the OP post.

May 21, 2018
I read this type of change as "simplify". reduce the moving parts making it easier to stay in sync. Increase repeatability and consistency.
I agree with your premise, just not sure if I'm completely sold on the idea that removing the negative motion will result in a tangible positive outcome. Generally if you aren't engaged in an activity that deals with an outside stimulus on when to start (e.g. starting gun) I'm not sure why you would want to discount momentum. I know "the foot doctor" has thoughts on this.

May 21, 2018
But some girls got there despite poor mechanics. Maybe the athletic ability or power helped them reach their level, but it would be foolish of a coach not to correct a flaw he or she sees in a girl that might make them even better.
Agree, but in my opinion, you need an accepted consensus on what constitutes a flaw.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Now I want to hear what the pitching instructors think of the OP post.

For me it would be a collaborative effort: "What do you like about what you're currently doing?" "Have you ever tried _____?" "How did it feel?" "What do you think about _____?"

It is really heart breaking to hear the horror stories from college players. Pitchers running for several miles to get stronger. Need to have 7 pitches by spring. Totally changing all the spins they had success with until they're almost all bullet spin when they return for summer. Mandatory 20 minute long warm up with swinging the Xelerator, wrist snaps, K's at 90 with static legs, pitching from one knee, storks, walkthroughs, warming up all 7 spins from wrist snaps, spinner and moving back to full. All leaving little time to work full pitches to the catcher and feeling out of their groove. Did I mention some crazy pitch calling?

I dread those calls, texts, vacation visits and summer rebuilds...

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I would think pitching from a low, dead stop would be something that would work with a terrestrial motor preferences but if you tried to apply this technique to an aerial type you could have negative results. Ken please chime in. I may be completely wrong.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
For me it would be a collaborative effort: "What do you like about what you're currently doing?" "Have you ever tried _____?" "How did it feel?" "What do you think about _____?"

It is really heart breaking to hear the horror stories from college players. Pitchers running for several miles to get stronger. Need to have 7 pitches by spring. Totally changing all the spins they had success with until they're almost all bullet spin when they return for summer. Mandatory 20 minute long warm up with swinging the Xelerator, wrist snaps, K's at 90 with static legs, pitching from one knee, storks, walkthroughs, warming up all 7 spins from wrist snaps and moving back to full. All leaving little time to work full pitches to the catcher and feeling out of their groove. Did I mention some crazy pitch calling?

I dread those calls, texts, vacation visit updates and summer rebuilds...
Yeah but those college coaches already know more about pitching than you will ever know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogoff1968