Wierd feeling of using deMarini Bustos bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Thanks FPMark, I will try to find one. I do believe that this is the reasons.

This is from Dr. Russell at Kettering "For the stiff bat, the frequency of the first bending mode is right in the middle of the most sensitive frequency range, while the second bending mode is at a much higher frequency. If the frequency of the first bending mode has the greatest influence on the perception of sting, then a flexible bat should feel better for impacts away from the sweet spot. However, if it is the second bending mode that most influences the perception of sting, then the stiff bat would cause less pain in the hands of the batter."

The chart provided show the flexible bat to have a second mode (afects top hand) right at the top of the senstive frequencies. Sorry about the geek stuff.

Geek stuff is okay...as long as I can understand it... ;). Is he giving a fact of how a stiff bat reacts, and listing two different possibilities for a flexable bat? I ask because of the use of 'if' in regards to flex. bat.

I was thinking in terms of the handle being more or less isolated from the barrel by the flexable shaft absorbing the sting frequencies that start in the barrel. Sort of like electronics being mounted on rubber to isolate them from harmful frequencies in harsh enviroments. The frequency that causes sting/harm being reduced to more of a slower, harmless vibration, or the flexing back and forth fealing I mentioned earlier.

Nov 22, 2010
Somewhere in Malaysia
Just a few infos on the bat (shown in the video)... it's 30" 17oz (-13). The boy was the first player in my team who tried out this brand new bat. So far the boys in our team prefer to use our brand new Easton Rival XXL and Rawlings Liquidmetal Silver bats rather than deMarini Bustos.

May 8, 2009
Florida
As I understand this, the possibilities of bat sting lie in the way the bat bends on impact. The if statement Dr Russell is using is not using the agrument of stiff vs flexible, but where the nodes lie. If you picture a wave, you have a high and low point where the amplitude is the highest absolute value. The middle of the wave is the node where the amplitude is zero. So if you are holding the bat at a node, you wont feel the vibration. The first bending mode is where the bat flexes in the middle, creating to nodes, one at the sweet spot and one on the handle where the top hand holds it. A hit on the sweet spot is on that node so it doesnt vibrate, where off the sweet spot causes more vibration the further away from this node. So the if states if the first bending mode is the major cause of sting, the top hand shouldnt feel this, the bottom hand will. The other side is that if it is the second bending mode (there will be three nodes - one where the bottom hand holds) then the top hand will feel the sting (personally I think this one is true). So because the frequency that is painfull/annoying is where the flexible bat second bending mode is - that bat should show a higher level of annoyance (weird feeling) or pain. My opinion here. Your hands and arms have a resonance frequency also - and if the bat vibrates at the same frequency you will experience the most sting. As you move away from that frequency, the pain moves to annoying. That might be the reason this bat feels "weird". I have tried holding bats at different points and bouncing a ball of the barrel. You will definitely feel the sweet spot, and different amounts of vibration depending on where you grip it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck