Softball Newbie Bat Recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 7, 2022
Hey all,
Long story short, my daughter played her first ever softball season in a rec league in the spring. She is a good athlete and had a good season, as her first. She was playing with a very cheap bat and I am hoping to upgrade some for the fall season. Still don't want to sink a ton of $ in as she still isn't sure softball is her thing but would like to get her a little more pop.
I have read as much info that I can find and spoken to a local shop owner as well but I would like some more opinions. Essentially what I am seeing/hearing is that unless I want to make the leap to $200-300+ composite bats, which I don't, that I should potentially just look at upgrading to a better alloy bat. I've checked out the Marucci Echo Alloy bats and was told they are nice alloy and I have also seen a used DeMarini Bustos that looks new and is somewhat local to me. Any thoughts on this to help out an overwhelmed newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jun 22, 2019
Another vote for eBay. My girls got a bunch of used bats until they were in HS.

Get one that doesn’t look abused, clean all the marks off of it, put a lizard grip on it and it will look just as new as it would after a week or two of practice.

Now a glove is a different story. Using a used glove is like wearing someone else’s underwear. This is where you buy quality for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
For a soon to be 10 year old, what size girl is she, and how would you compare her strength to the other girls on her team?

I know that's young but I'd try to stay as close to a balanced bat as possible, maybe a -11 at the very least!

And I absolutely agree with the others on a used bat, girls at this age never even break a bat in, they outgrow them, so a used bat may have some cosmetic scratches and chips in it but chances are it's not even broken in. Definitely go used and put a new Lizard Skin grip on it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2