Wierd feeling of using deMarini Bustos bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2010
Somewhere in Malaysia
Hi;

I just bought a new deMarini Bustos bat for my team. I wonder why it's vibrate (not stinging) everytime my players hit the ball. Is it normal?

You can see the expression of my player when using this bat... It's a kind of very weird feeling.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
That looks like the bat I saw a 9 year old useing one time. She let me look at it and I noticed the shaft was REALLY flexable. It would bend pretty easily with hand pressure. I wonder if what they're fealing is the bat flexing back and forth after contact.

May 8, 2009
Florida
Not an expert here, but it is something I have interest in. Short answer is that the problem is in the type and length of material used which causes it to bend at specific spots and be excited at certain frequencies. Nothing to do with grip and really, will a 9yo notice a difference in flex (unless it is pretty large). aaedad - could you give me the length and weights of the two. Just curious.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I found this on their website. I guess a phone call is worth a try. If you have any questions or comments about your DeMarini, our customer service folks are available at (800) 937-2287.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Carty... I believe that this bat's shaft flexability causes frequencies that would normaly cause 'sting' to be stoped and converted to a more mild harmonic vibration (wierd feeling) at the hands. I don't know how old the bat I looked at was, but it was new to the girl who had it. Some of the girls on her team were asking if it was legal, so I know that they noticed the flex. It was ASA certified just VERY flexable. If this is something you have interest in you need to find one and check it out.

May 8, 2009
Florida
Thanks FPMark, I will try to find one. I do believe that this is the reasons.

This is from Dr. Russell at Kettering "For the stiff bat, the frequency of the first bending mode is right in the middle of the most sensitive frequency range, while the second bending mode is at a much higher frequency. If the frequency of the first bending mode has the greatest influence on the perception of sting, then a flexible bat should feel better for impacts away from the sweet spot. However, if it is the second bending mode that most influences the perception of sting, then the stiff bat would cause less pain in the hands of the batter."

The chart provided show the flexible bat to have a second mode (afects top hand) right at the top of the senstive frequencies. Sorry about the geek stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck