Why D1 ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
They had to forgo their Senior year of Softball to do their required clinical service in the hospital.
Not all Universities have a hospital on campus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My dd played with a pre-med student (Bio major) and she still played all four years of college. She is currently in med school. Some students also take a gap year to do the same. There was no “clinical requirement” her senior year.

May 3, 2023
My dd played with a pre-med student (Bio major) and she still played all four years of college. She is currently in med school. Some students also take a gap year to do the same. There was no “clinical requirement” her senior year.

Then she was lucky, I’ve know several whose course of study required working hospital shifts.

May 27, 2013
Then she was lucky, I’ve know several whose course of study required working hospital shifts.

In what capacity?

If planned well, those hours can be gained during summers in between college semesters - and they don’t have to be specifically based in a hospital.

Anyways - I’ll move on and let the thread return to softball talk. The snowglobe has been shaken enough for one day.

Oct 26, 2019
They could call it the Mercy Rule Challenge.

I am skeptical they will fully fund them at most D1 schools. If they do it would be great and would definitely change the conversation.

I am more concerned the new roster limits will limit girls who want to walk on at D1 schools while academics covers tuition. May force many girls to lower levels if they want to continue playing softball. I am hoping for the best but curious to see the final result.

It’s going to make it more competitive everywhere. Walk-ons at power 4 schools are basically done. Mid-majors that choose to full fund all 24 scholarships will dominate the school that decide not to.

May 3, 2023
You are beyond wrong here. If you think there is a team in D2 or D3 that could even prevent a run rule loss in five innings, you haven't watched enough college softball.

I watched the 2000 Olympic Team face a team of New England college All Stars in an Exhibition game. The All Stars first pitcher was a ‘92 graduate of Worcester State College, now University, a D3 school. She held that soon to be Gold Medal team to one single in 4 innings!
By hitting her spots and changing speeds.
The next pitcher of the All Stars was a recent D1 graduate, who was faster. She got killed!
That was a Hall of Fame team coached by a Hall of Fame Coach Ralph Raymond.
There are All Americans in the other Divisions too.

Apr 23, 2023
I watched the 2000 Olympic Team face a team of New England college All Stars in an Exhibition game. The All Stars first pitcher was a ‘92 graduate of Worcester State College, now University, a D3 school. She held that soon to be Gold Medal team to one single in 4 innings!
By hitting her spots and changing speeds.
The next pitcher of the All Stars was a recent D1 graduate, who was faster. She got killed!
That was a Hall of Fame team coached by a Hall of Fame Coach Ralph Raymond.
There are All Americans in the other Divisions too.

Exhibition games/scrimmages are not anything close to championship games but even giving you this cool upset, for every one game in many years with an upset, there would be many years with blow-outs and mercies and that's not a great message for the audience nor growing the sport on TV.

Maybe even more important is this massive talent migration to the top D1 since change in transfer portal and NIL. This talent migration keeps rising and making the best even better. This does not resemble 2000. If there is a D2 school with Oklahoma beating talent, many should now move D1 to a full ride plus NIL plus a program with near unlimited resources - plus an academic program with more resources.

Apr 26, 2019
Not just softball, all sports, band, drama, choir, academics… some parents gain some feeling of status from their kids accomplishments.
I agree with this statement. It reminds me of the admissions scandal a few years back at big name universities. The rich, famous or combination of both parents would not be as excited to tell their "friends" that their kid was attending CSU Los Angeles or Fairleigh Dickinson as they would be to say USC "West Coast" or Yale.

Apr 26, 2019
This is what I would like to know. How many well-known softball athletes have successful careers outside of softball once they graduate? Just like several people have said on this form before. Look at the majors of the athletes at the top D1 softball schools and their playing time. This will tell you a lot.
Sort of, I guess. But what constitutes a difficult or "important" degree to you? Why are your interests or talents education wise "better"?

Megan Bloodworth is an accounting major. Sis Bates majored in education. Ally Shipman's degree is in Environmental Science. Montana Fouts and Cat Osterman earned psychology degrees. Osterman has master's degree and Fouts is going to graduate school.

I know this is a small sample size. However, my point is "always" and "never" are rarely true. Yeah. Some kids, no matter the sport, just go to college to play ball. Some kids stay in h.s. just to play ball. If a kid goes to college and plays a sport and earns a degree, good for them. It isn't my place to judge what that degree is going to do for them. Maybe they have a plan and know exactly what their path forward is irrespective of it being a "difficult" or "important" major.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
What I would like to see is a true WCWS: the D1, D2, D3, and NAIA National Champions play a tournament to determine the true National Champion!
Each team plays the other three, then the 1 seed plays the 4 and 2 vs 3 in single elimination. The winners playing for Championship and losers play for third.
I believe the D1 Chsmps would not always win!

That would be ugly

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hcm1940