Who do you listen to for advice on your player's development?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2017
Definitely seek out parents that are older and have been there done that. We were lucky to find different people along the journey to give us lots of advice. Some we met locally and some I just reached out on things like Facebook and asked them a couple of questions. Most were always happy to respond and help. As we moved up in team level I searched out new people to talk to and ask questions. Now I help people with younger daughters try to navigate the waters.

For instructors we were lucky to have a successful WCWS pitcher as a family friend to get ours started. She eventually moved and we had to find a new instructor. I reached out to the top pitchers parents in the area to get recommendations. We went to a couple of different lessons and found our match. I personally want to see past results for me to believe in someone. If an instructor has a long track record of producing high level players then that goes a long way in my book.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I would also add that there is more than one way to pitch or hit successfully. Watch Jennings from OU. She drops her hand and swings up on the ball. She has a problem of hitting too many home runs.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Definitely seek out parents that are older and have been there done that. We were lucky to find different people along the journey to give us lots of advice. Some we met locally and some I just reached out on things like Facebook and asked them a couple of questions. Most were always happy to respond and help. As we moved up in team level I searched out new people to talk to and ask questions. Now I help people with younger daughters try to navigate the waters.

For instructors we were lucky to have a successful WCWS pitcher as a family friend to get ours started. She eventually moved and we had to find a new instructor. I reached out to the top pitchers parents in the area to get recommendations. We went to a couple of different lessons and found our match. I personally want to see past results for me to believe in someone. If an instructor has a long track record of producing high level players then that goes a long way in my book.
This right here^^^^

Being able to talk to parents that are a few years ahead of you in the game is so helpful. They have already made their mistakes. That goes for instructors, teams, recruiting, travel, tourneys, etc. Parents that are sitting in the stands with you have not been down the road, so be careful of what they say unless they are knowledgeable.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Did the instructors make the player or did the players make the instructor?

We have one of those instructors in our area.
Honest answer is both the player and the instructor have a big part in the success of a player, you could even add the coach in some cases. If the player is not putting in the work outside of lesson it is very likely that the player will not be as successful no matter who the instructor is. If the instructor is teaching poor hitting or pitching mechanics it is more likely that the hitter will struggle during games.

Take Oklahoma Sooner for instance. Is it JT Gasso that is making so many of the Oklahoma players into elite hitters, or is it the fact the Oklahoma is recruiting some of the top hitters from travel ball. IMO, it is combination of the two.

We are lucky to have a couple elite level pitching and hitting instructors in this area that are consistently putting travel ball players in to P5 conferences.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Honest answer is both the player and the instructor have a big part in the success of a player, you could even add the coach in some cases. If the player is not putting in the work outside of lesson it is very likely that the player will not be as successful no matter who the instructor is. If the instructor is teaching poor hitting or pitching mechanics it is more likely that the hitter will struggle during games.

Take Oklahoma Sooner for instance. Is it JT Gasso that is making so many of the Oklahoma players into elite hitters, or is it the fact the Oklahoma is recruiting some of the top hitters from travel ball. IMO, it is combination of the two.

We are lucky to have a couple elite level pitching and hitting instructors in this area that are consistently putting travel ball players in to P5 conferences.
Like pairing an Andretti with a Ferrari.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I might venture to say not very many us started out as "softball families." My best advice to listen to parents that are two or more years ahead of you. They already made the mistakes you haven't made yet.
Even better, find some parents who have seen college ball.

Aug 9, 2021
What is her goal?

Obviously solid mechanics is critical. But if college is the goal go with the coach/organization that has that part figured out. How to get recruited, playing on the right fields, at the right tournaments, in front of the right coaches, and has the right connections. I'm amazed at how many organizations do not have the recruiting aspect together.

Edit: I didn't answer the question...people who have done it before. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T Town travel coach