WHIP Calculations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
She sprained her ankle right before season started so has only pitched 4 leave games this season.

Game 1: 61.4% strike percentage, 16 batters faced: 7 strike outs, 1 HBP, 1 walk, 1 drop 3rd, 6 batters hit (5 hit ball but out, 1 hit and got to 1st)

Game 2: 76% strike percent, 11 batters faced: 6 strike outs, 5 batters hit (2 hit but out, 1 hit/on base but later got out stealing, 2 batter hit and got on- resulting in one run.)

Game 3 (in rain): 54% strike percentage, 23 batters faced: 7 strike outs, 8 batters hit (4 got on base, 4 hit but got out) 1 HBP, 7 walks (5 of those 7 on full count)

Game 4 (pitched 2 of 3 innings): 63% strike percentage, 7 batters faced: 3 strike outs, 4 batters hit (3 hit but got out, 1 got on base)

So....looks like a little less than half are strike outs. But since she was injured I don't have many data points for this season yet.

You need to change your terminology a tad.

In Game two, there weren't "5 batters hit". It appears there was 1 hit, 2 ground/fly/line-drive out, 2 reached on error. If you use Game Changer, all this will get calculated for you.

Oct 4, 2018
This is certainly true until you get to the top teams. I think it is especially good advice for parents who think their daughter is the GOAT. At the end of the day, I think the games I enjoyed the most is when my daughter allowed mostly fieldable contact and the fielders did their job - that whole team concept.

I don't think anybody would suggest that Montana Fouts with 15 Ks in a game wasn't facing worthy batters.

Agreed. It was personally fun when my 10U DD won 4 inning games with 11 strikeouts. But not much fun for the other girls, the other parents, etc. And like mentioned above, it meant that we weren't playing hard enough teams.

I like the idea that averaging about 1 strikeout per inning is a good place to be.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it.
Sandy Koufax

The funny thing about this quote is the reality of him becoming a great pitcher actually had nothing to do with the hitters making more contact. He started throwing more strikes, his walk rates plummeted, and he struck out a lot more hitters (he also cut his homer rate in half).

I'm not sure what Koufax meant with the line, but it absolutely does not mean "allowing more contact made me a better pitcher" because what actually made him a better pitcher was striking out more batters, walking half as many, and not giving up homers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez