WHIP Calculations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2019
Thanks! Yes, she has good control & spin, but is slower (still lower 40s). That is working pretty well right now as she is playing 12C (she is 11). Hopefully we can increase her speed this season as she grows and becomes more fluid. I have her trained to "test" the umps strike zone for the first several batters then use that for the game- which works pretty well. I'm also showing her about reading a batter and throwing more or less aggressive (strikes vs pushing edges) based on place in line-up, stance in box, if she chases balls, etc. I think that mental iq part of pitching helps compensate for her lack of speed.

Apr 12, 2015
What about a dropped 3rd that results in an on base?!?

This would be scored as a strikeout for the pitcher and a strikeout against the batter, then as a reached-on-error with the error on the catcher.

It doesn't effect WHIP.

Weak grounders and pop-ups are ideal. If the batters are blasting line drives or hard grounds that happen to be fielded, then you might have a problem. But batters making weak contact is a good result.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Glad I asked! Our daughter is 1st year 12u and has a great strike %, but more kids are able to hit off her than our #1 (who has a lower strike %, but pitches 5mph faster). But probably 75% of those hits are weak/infield and results in an out at 1st base or caught ball. My husband thinks that those hits are a bad thing, but I keep telling my daughter that as long as they aren't slugging them to outfield its still good.

Your mistake here is calling those balls in play "hits."

A hit is a stat with a specific meaning. It's not called a hit every time a player makes contact with a ball and it goes into fair territory. I think it's great you're here and trying to learn the proper terminology of the sport.

Also, strikeouts are great, but your husband is wrong. Weak groundouts are good. Weak ground balls are good even if the defense isn't converting them into outs.

No contact is best, but weak contact is also good.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
This would be scored as a strikeout for the pitcher and a strikeout against the batter, then as a reached-on-error with the error on the catcher.

The second part of this is false. It's recorded as a strikeout and either a wild pitch or a passed ball. If the batter reaches on a K-WP, their run would be earned. If they reach on a K-PB, it's not an error (unless the catcher makes a bad throw that allows the batter-runner to reach first), but it is unearned. Passed balls are not counted as errors.

Apr 12, 2015
The second part of this is false. It's recorded as a strikeout and either a wild pitch or a passed ball. If the batter reaches on a K-WP, their run would be earned. If they reach on a K-PB, it's not an error (unless the catcher makes a bad throw that allows the batter-runner to reach first), but it is unearned. Passed balls are not counted as errors.

You are correct. I was assuming (assuming always gets you in trouble) the runner reached base on a throwing error from the catcher and didn't consider the K-WP or K-PB.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
You are correct. I was assuming (assuming always gets you in trouble) the runner reached base on a throwing error from the catcher and didn't consider the K-WP or K-PB.

I suppose I was assuming, too, that it was a "simple" D3K situation where the runner just beats the throw (or there is no throw at all).

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
A PB is not an error.
A WP is not an error.
A ball that is “hit” and put into play is not scored as a hit unless the batter reaches base safely without an error, fielders choice or similar occurring.

My sister kept score for an adult baseball team I played on right after HS. The first game her score sheet said we had over 30 hits. She counted anytime a player hit the ball a “hit”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2013
I agree that sometimes a higher strike percentage is not necessarily a good thing. It means the pitcher is always right around the strike zone which can lead to giving up a lot of hits and getting hit hard, in many cases.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez