When It Comes to Money...To Ask or Not to Ask?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2015
I head coach a 16U semi-travel team during the summer. My girls do not pay to play except for their uniforms - all of our money comes from locally-donating businesses who give at various levels with varying reciprocity in return (banner advertising, Facebook page mentions, etc.)

Question for the board - a couple of my players (1 new, 1 returning) had mentioned that their parents (dads) owned businesses that they thought would be willing to donate money toward our team. I told the girls I was not comfortable with the idea because, to me, it would seem like a conflict of interest. NOT mentioned to them was my thought that I do not want it to be used against me as a bargaining chip, a la "We donated to you, now play my kid where we want you to." Not that I would ever think these players/parents would do it, but the idea still sours on me.

What's the thought of everyone as to soliciting money from these businesses in future seasons? Obviously if the player isn't playing for me, I don't see a problem (whether the result is a yay or nay), but IF the player is a currently-rostered athlete, I'm not too sure I feel it's the right thing to do.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Everyone should pay something. Otherwise they have no skin in the game and subsequently less commitment. That said if you get donations to the team those can be divided equitably to all players. If someone solicits a donation for a specific player, like when dad owns a business then their season is paid.

Dec 19, 2012
Question for the board - a couple of my players (1 new, 1 returning) had mentioned that their parents (dads) owned businesses that they thought would be willing to donate money toward our team.

What's the thought of everyone as to soliciting money from these businesses in future seasons? Obviously if the player isn't playing for me, I don't see a problem (whether the result is a yay or nay), but IF the player is a currently-rostered athlete, I'm not too sure I feel it's the right thing to do.

My first thought is that the donation gives their company banner advertisement, Facebook recognition, etc. My second thought is: If they are willing to donate, why haven't they already done so? What are they waiting for if they know they can donate?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
You need to be comfortable with what they are donating.

If you think there are stings attached do not accept, money is always a good thing.

Jun 1, 2015
My second thought is: If they are willing to donate, why haven't they already done so? What are they waiting for if they know they can donate?

They weren't asked to because I hadn't thought of it (for one of them) or didn't realize there was a business owned by the parent (for the other). It just happened to be where the players said some equivalent of "Oh, my dad owns _______, you should ask him to donate to us!" or "I'll bet dad would be willing to donate. I'll ask him", and that day never comes. I sent out about 110 donation letters around Memorial Day to businesses between the two communities that my team members are from. The ones interested have given.

The reason why I don't have my girls pay some kind of registration is simple - other area leagues have their kids pay $200, $300 to participate, not counting uniforms, etc, and then turn it into just a money-making machine that happens to involve softball (i.e. the drinking team with a bowling problem as I look at it). I want this to be a commitment team, as much of a headache as it has been. I live in a small town (~5,000 people, 1 school district). We generally know by Modified who's moving on and who isn't, and it's the motivated ones who are by a long shot. This is a summer league - you play because of your level of commitment, and this has been stressed repeatedly. I've already had 2 girls quit and 2 be pulled by a parent (those 2 girls play travel ball coinciding with my season) because of the "lack of dedication/commitment" of the others.

Part of what has burned me in the past is the fact that we aren't tax-exempt at the moment. Everything that comes in for this team goes out for this team (game balls, insurance, umpires, etc.) Luckily the repeat donations have come from businesses where individuals know me very well and know I'm not out to finally con/screw someone out of money.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2014
I'm impressed you're able to run a team without collecting fees from the players. If I were a parent of one of your players I would definitely see some upside to that. The longer I am around travel youth softball organizations the less I agree with every player paying an equal fee. The reality is the 9th batter in the lineup gets less opportunities than the 1st and certain positions see more 'action' than others.

Jun 1, 2015
The first year this team was in existence, I was an AC to the HC, who let his 12 year old daughter play but told others no other 12 year olds could play. His response: "It's my team and my rules." When he became too busy to keep it going because his DD went to a nearby travel ball league (that also has a team that plays against us), I took it over and revamped it into what I wanted (or what I would want if I were interested in playing). We had 12 players in that first year, and we rotated the 10 that played and 2 that sat to ensure equality. Last year we had 11, then 10, so it was easier for numbers for who played/didn't. This year I have 10, so everyone plays/hits, BUT they've been forewarned I'll pull anyone with an attitude off the field, and only having 10, the girls realize I'm not pulling punches about it.

The girls/parents DO realize that they do not get their uniforms UNTIL I get the payments, so it's not without caveats at all. Next year I may do things where the payments are done up-front, that way I'm not rushing around before games to get the money from parents. Everything else is donated from businesses, and whatever has to be paid by myself has to be paid. I try to cover the mini-items (game balls, etc) and have the bigger costs (umpires, insurance, etc) to be paid by donation money.

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
If the parent works for a big corporation and could secure some donations for you from their corporation I would take it since they are just a conduit to the donation and not the actual donor. Since it sounds like the parent is the owner of a local business I would avoid it unless you will go unfunded otherwise. Even if you trust that the donor would not try to influence the team, the appearance of that could surface quickly.

Jul 25, 2015
Set a minimum donation level required for each player on the team - where the player gets the donation for the team. Make it $250 or $300 or whatever. Then the parents of the girls that own businesses can cover the donation while others will have to solicit one or two or three businesses to cover it. In either event, all of them have contributed equally and there is no leverage for anyone to have.

However, I do not agree that there should not be some sort of player dues or fees.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl