whats the right call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
Runner on 1st, 2nd baseman playing deep up the middle. 2nd baseman charges ground ball which goes off/under glove. momentum carries fielder into runners path,, contact is made when the ball was on edge of outfield/dirt behind the fielder.. Looked like field ump had the obstruction call and after quick conference with Home plate ump was then ruled as runner interference.

Oct 11, 2018
If it happened exactly as you describe, I would go with the obstruction call pretty easily. But if the runner got so close to the fielder while she was attempting to field the ball and caused the fielder to look up and miss the ball or she got in her line of sight and was a distraction, Interference could be the right call. Not saying that is what happened, but something like that needed to happen to make this interference. Maybe the PU was in front of the play and could better see the F4 reaction. In order to decide if they ultimately made the right call, we would have to know their reasoning for switching from OBS to INT.

Jun 7, 2019
From the original post, this is obstruction.

1. “2nd baseman charges ground ball which goes off/under glove”
2. “momentum carries fielder into runners path”

And then the clincher...

3. “contact is made when the ball was on edge of outfield/dirt behind the fielder.”

There can still be obstruction even though the ball has already touched the fielder’s glove, but only if the ball is still within “a step and a reach“ of the fielder. In this case, the fielder was still going forward after the ball went past her to the edge of the grass. No chance to just reach down and get that ball, and therefore no business making contact with the runner.

NOTE: Too many games in past 4 days in really bad heat. I’m too tired to look up and quote that “step and a reach”, but we have other umpires hear who can quote chapter and verse, just in case I’m wrong.

May 29, 2015
All you gotta do is run that lamp ...

”Step and a reach” is specific to certain rule sets.

NFHS and USSSA use it in the definition of “Initial play”. Note: it is a step and a reach in any direction from the first play. Here is the USSSA definition:
BB269889-6C25-4D50-A966-539904F09E5D.jpeg

USA Softball and NCAA do not define “initial play”or use “step and a reach” terminology. They say “in the act of fielding”.

May 6, 2015
first scenario reminds me of my tball coaching days. team was having a problem not throwing bats after hitting ball. safety issue, so I tell them, the next time a batter throws the bat, they are out (our t ball, no matter the result of the play, batter stayed on base, we batted around every inning, last batter cleared bases). wouldnt you know it, next batter to throw the bat, DD1. I pulled her off base and said she was out. 2 other kids that inning had same result. cleared up the bat throwing though ;) and the tears dried relatively quickly.

(it was tball with no score, no umps, we did not get umps until after 8u coahc pitch).

Aug 25, 2019
What?! No umps!! How are you supposed to get to T-Ball Supreme Gold Nationals that way? ;)
Actually I was scheduled last night for a town minors softball game, when I get there and geared up for another game in 95 degree heat, I found out it was a 8u coach pitch game. they said they didn't need me (they certainly didn't!) and my assigner said I'd get paid anyway.....win-win for all!

May 29, 2015
ACtually, we advanced to Diamond Platinum T Ball national champrionship, supreme gold nationals was just not enough competition ;)

Next time try the Southern Division Eastern Zone Midwest Tier Nationals Tournament of Awesomeness. I hear they draw the best teams from three counties.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12