I got to call it...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2022
Umping a Varsity High School game last night: with empty bases, had a batter with a 3-1 count take strike two. Catcher (thinking it was strike 3) throws the ball to the first baseman. Called time and then Ball 4 for the walk. (can't throw to a base during at an bat if your not making a play on a runner).

After the runner got to first, looked at the defensive coach to make sure he understood. He did. However, the fans behind me did not. It was interesting to hear their loud-enough-for-me-to-hear questions as there did not understand the call. The game was run ruled at the end of the third inning.

Didn't know if I would every see that on the field.

Mar 1, 2013
I think PA is a straight 10 after 5.
Most of the weekend plastic trophy tournaments I do are 12-10-8 in 3-4-5. One league is like 20-17-15-12 after 2-3-4-5

May 27, 2022
That’s a sticky wicket.

Maybe I’m too lax, but I would have left it alone. Catcher thought she was making a play, not trying to delay the game.

Interesting. I told this story to the guy I worked with last night and he said the same thing - why call it if no advantage is being gained?

It got me thinking as to what rules are worth ignoring? Being our first week of games, I had 2 teams that used eye black decoratively. In those cases, I simply warned the coach that it needed to be a single straight line under the eyes. Girls consistently come to the plate with chin straps loose. Some pitchers take more than 20 seconds to pitch - some inning flips take more than 1 min.

On the flip side, there are some coaches that take advantage of every rule bending action they can. If they want to bend the rules over and over, I am going to hold them to the highest possible standard. Also, a chance for the catcher to learn.

But, your point is well taken.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2013
A loose analogy but rules like IPs. I’ve been told in tournaments, “only if it’s egregious or gaining an advantage”. No. I’m either calling them or I’m not. It’s either a legal delivery or it’s not. In those cases I simply don’t call them.

And even more loosely - I had a coach griping constantly about IPs. The pitcher was fine but he was trying to get into my head. Beautifully enough, next inning his pitcher double-touched on a 3-2 count on which the batter struck out. Sorry coach, that was an illegal pitch. Ball 4. He quit bitching about the other pitcher.

Jan 30, 2019
Interesting. I told this story to the guy I worked with last night and he said the same thing - why call it if no advantage is being gained?

It got me thinking as to what rules are worth ignoring? Being our first week of games, I had 2 teams that used eye black decoratively. In those cases, I simply warned the coach that it needed to be a single straight line under the eyes. Girls consistently come to the plate with chin straps loose. Some pitchers take more than 20 seconds to pitch - some inning flips take more than 1 min.

On the flip side, there are some coaches that take advantage of every rule bending action they can. If they want to bend the rules over and over, I am going to hold them to the highest possible standard. Also, a chance for the catcher to learn.

But, your point is well taken.
I'm just curious because, maybe I missed something in my rule books (has happened before), but I could not find eye black or chin strap restrictions in the rule books I use (USA, NFHS, and NCAA). I do not have a USSSA book so maybe it is limited to them. The strap is not a requirement for helmets, so I was always taught that if the strap was there to make sure it is buckled on both side (tightness did not matter) or remove it. I know states and tournaments could modify the rules, so maybe this happened. But I couldn't find anything the actual rule books.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812