I got to call it...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2022
I'm just curious because, maybe I missed something in my rule books (has happened before), but I could not find eye black or chin strap restrictions in the rule books I use (USA, NFHS, and NCAA). I do not have a USSSA book so maybe it is limited to them. The strap is not a requirement for helmets, so I was always taught that if the strap was there to make sure it is buckled on both side (tightness did not matter) or remove it. I know states and tournaments could modify the rules, so maybe this happened. But I couldn't find anything the actual rule books.

You are not wrong. That is an Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union adaption. Good point.

1685115083127.png

May 29, 2015
I was guessing Little League (I don’t call LL, but it sounds like something they would do). Most codes dropped chin straps a long time ago (bigger hazard than benefit).

Eye black is a place umpires have no business being (with limited exception). I’m waiting for whichever state association to get sued for telling kids they can’t paint a cross under their eyes. Even jewelry had a religious exemption for all those years. (I was the PITA kid who then would have painted a pentagram since you were making an exception for a special group of people.)

I hate the term “gain an advantage.” Denying an advantage to one is giving the other an advantage. By making that call, you advantaged the other team by putting the runner on. I know it is more loosey-goosey, but when deciding I prefer to use “in the spirit of the game.” Did that effect anything? Was it meant to have a purpose that is against the spirit of the game?

May 27, 2022
I was guessing Little League (I don’t call LL, but it sounds like something they would do). Most codes dropped chin straps a long time ago (bigger hazard than benefit).

Eye black is a place umpires have no business being (with limited exception). I’m waiting for whichever state association to get sued for telling kids they can’t paint a cross under their eyes. Even jewelry had a religious exemption for all those years. (I was the PITA kid who then would have painted a pentagram since you were making an exception for a special group of people.)

I hate the term “gain an advantage.” Denying an advantage to one is giving the other an advantage. By making that call, you advantaged the other team by putting the runner on. I know it is more loosey-goosey, but when deciding I prefer to use “in the spirit of the game.” Did that effect anything? Was it meant to have a purpose that is against the spirit of the game?

I always thought you were one that was against umpires deciding what rules to enforce or not enforce.

If it was 12U or 14U travel ball - maybe choose how strict you want to be. But, a High School Varsity contest? I have always considered that level to be application of all rules to the best of the umpire's ability.

May 29, 2015
I always thought you were one that was against umpires deciding what rules to enforce or not enforce.

If it was 12U or 14U travel ball - maybe choose how strict you want to be. But, a High School Varsity contest? I have always considered that level to be application of all rules to the best of the umpire's ability.

Oh … I’ve admitted to being a hypocrite before! :giggle:

Difference between me and most others is that I recognize it and embrace it. :p

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Umping a Varsity High School game last night: with empty bases, had a batter with a 3-1 count take strike two. Catcher (thinking it was strike 3) throws the ball to the first baseman. Called time and then Ball 4 for the walk. (can't throw to a base during at an bat if your not making a play on a runner).

After the runner got to first, looked at the defensive coach to make sure he understood. He did. However, the fans behind me did not. It was interesting to hear their loud-enough-for-me-to-hear questions as there did not understand the call. The game was run ruled at the end of the third inning.

Didn't know if I would every see that on the field.
And once again all of this is solved if the catcher's initial thought was to tag the runner instead of throwing her out. I'm assuming she knew the count and wasn't running.

Is it safe to say that if the runner was confused and ran, then you probably don't make that call?

May 27, 2022
And once again all of this is solved if the catcher's initial thought was to tag the runner instead of throwing her out. I'm assuming she knew the count and wasn't running.

Is it safe to say that if the runner was confused and ran, then you probably don't make that call?

I think you misunderstood - this is not a dropped 3rd strike...

May 18, 2022
I think you misunderstood - this is not a dropped 3rd strike...
I think he understood, but was thinking dropped 2nd strike but catcher thought was 3rd. So a tag on the batter wouldn't have got the ball, if the batter was confused and ran on a dropped 2nd and the catcher threw to 1 would it still be a ball? I think in baseball anyway it could potentially be a strike for delay of game (depending on the time it takes the batter to get back in the box).

If the catcher was going for an around the horn after a strike out that's usually a throw to 3 (none of my daughters teams have done around the horn so I haven't paid attention if softball is different than baseball)

Jun 11, 2013
I think he understood, but was thinking dropped 2nd strike but catcher thought was 3rd. So a tag on the batter wouldn't have got the ball, if the batter was confused and ran on a dropped 2nd and the catcher threw to 1 would it still be a ball? I think in baseball anyway it could potentially be a strike for delay of game (depending on the time it takes the batter to get back in the box).

If the catcher was going for an around the horn after a strike out that's usually a throw to 3 (none of my daughters teams have done around the horn so I haven't paid attention if softball is different than baseball)
A lot of teams in both baseball an softball throw it around by throwing to 1st instead of 3rd. Actually makes a lot of sense as you get to practice for a D3K. It seems like umps should have the discretion whether or not to call that penalty.

May 27, 2022
Jesus F Christ. What a waste of everyone’s time and effort to make, and expect enforced, such a stupid, useless, unnecessary rule. I’m sorry you’re in a position to be expected to enforce this nitwitery.

There would appear to be some on this board that would argue that half the rule book is 'nitwitery' and shouldn't be enforced...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22