Infield Fly runner kept running - interference?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
I'm not saying no good umps have been run off by bad parents/coaches or whatever. Surely it's happened. But when I think of the umpires I've had who have taken the worst "abuse" (I rarely see what I would consider abuse, but we'll use that word), they're never, ever the good umps. They MIGHT sometimes be young/inexperienced umps who aren't given a chance.

Almost always, they're veteran umps who are terrible at the job, have poor attitudes, and don't seem to want to be there. They also happen to be the most thin-skinned.

It surprises me when I hear that good umpires are being chased away. My experience is that people may disagree with the good umps, but they tend to respect them and the disagreements, even arguments, don't get nasty. Those men and women also aren't quitting just because of a couple questioned calls.

I've seen plenty of good umpires end careers because they are tired of dealing with it or found they didn't miss it during COVID.

I've seen plenty of bad umpires just disappear.

It may be semantics, but there is a difference and maybe that difference tells which you are. A good umpire decides they've had enough. A bad umpire gets chased away.

i think the key here is did anyone actually hear the call?

the OP mentioned most of the INF and the batter did not hear the call; if the batter was not called out verbally, and the INF & BR continued to play on like a live play as a result, can one reasonably then call interference?

Agree that if the out was clearly called, and the BR (now an illegal runner) continued, it's clearly interference, the 2nd runner to score called out, inning over.......but based on what the OP posted, this may not be the case
When we first played our first 10u district game for the state tournament I specifically asked the umpire during our rules meeting at the plate before the game if he will verbally call the infield fly or just raise his arm gesturing batter is out and he said they don't actually have to say it, the players should know the situation and the call if he raises his arm to signal the batter being out. I had to reiterate stay on the bag if it's an infield fly, don't put yourself in jeopardy stepping off even if it's dropped to try and avoid the chaos that would surely occur.

May 20, 2015
When we first played our first 10u district game for the state tournament I specifically asked the umpire during our rules meeting at the plate before the game if he will verbally call the infield fly or just raise his arm gesturing batter is out and he said they don't actually have to say it, the players should know the situation and the call if he raises his arm to signal the batter being out. I had to reiterate stay on the bag if it's an infield fly, don't put yourself in jeopardy stepping off even if it's dropped to try and avoid the chaos that would surely occur.

i know they don't have to, but if the batter keeps running, just thinking they might say something at that point lol

Apr 28, 2015
Another odd play I'm left wondering about...
HS SB, runners on 1st (R1) and 2nd (R2), with one out. Infield fly ball hit and infield fly called, batter out to get two outs. Very few infielders and coaches heard this call verbalized however. We'll call the batter R0.
Fly is dropped and both runners panic and try to advance. The fun begins. Fielder throws to second but throw is high and sails to CF backing up. CF throws late to home to try to get R2. Catcher then throws to second to try to get R0, who of course was out immediately on the infield fly but is still running bases. Her throw is also high and sails to CF, who throws to third. The third baseman tags out R0 running to third. For a moment she thinks that's three outs, but she then spins and throws home late as R1 scored. Ump asks tagged R0 at third "were you the batter?" and realizes there's not an extra out there and that the run counts.

At what point is a runner who continues to run bases after being called out, guilty of interference? The call on the field was that since R0 did not hinder the play on R1 or R2, there's no call. As head coach, I disagree. I argued if the umps didn't know who the batter was, how could the defense be expected to? We threw to several bases trying to get her and then relaxed a bit when we thought we tagged her for out #3.

If nobody heard the infield fly call, why would anyone think the out at 3rd would be the 3rd out? That doesn’t add up. If the defense doesn’t know IFF was called, they don’t think the tag at 3rd was the 3rd out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23