What makes a winning team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
My daughter is in her sixth season of travel ball, and after five seasons of playing for .500 teams, she now plays for a team that has been very dominant. They've won 7 of their last 8 tournaments. Some would say (myself included, to some extent) that they need to find tougher tournaments, but they do play up in age division about half the time, and it is what it is.

But in any event, they are certainly a good team within the context of the level they are choosing to play.

So my question is this - What makes good teams good?

Is it pitching? Hitting? Does it change w/ age level? My memory of 10U was that it's usually the team with the best pitcher because there aren't many 10U lineups can handle a fast, accurate pitcher throwing an 11-inch ball at 35 feet.

Had a coach once tell me that when they get to 14U and above that it's about hitting up and down the lineup because there aren't that many truly dominant pitchers, and everybody can catch the ball, so it comes down to having 9 good hitters. I've found that to have a certain ring of truth to it now that I'm here in 14U.

For my daughter's current team, which is 14U, the key seems to be the lack of weaknesses. The best 3-4 players are very good obviously, but they're not superstars. It's 5-10 where the team separates itself. There are no easy outs in the batting order. Several can bunt. The fielders don't often make plays that makes you go WOW! In fact, the shortstop has limited range and would play 3B for many teams. But she and the team as a whole just don't make many errors. Almost never make a throwing error to 1B. Balls that should be caught in the OF are caught. Our pitchers are hit-able, but they don't beat themselves. It's just an air-tight team. It seems like every team we play has a handful of girls who could make our team, but they don't have 9 of them.

Is that the blueprint for winning? Or does it usually come down to the best pitcher?

Or is it like Yogi said - The game is 75 percent pitching and the other half is mental.

Dec 7, 2011
My 2 cents => From 14U and up it is 50 percent pitching then the remaining split evenly between:

Infield defense (cuz good short-game teams can counter a great pitcher)

hitting

how well the girls get along

quality of coaching

Jun 11, 2013
To me the best teams all have above average pitching, but not always dominating. On defense they are usually solid and make very few errors but don't always just amaze you with all the plays. They hit cutoffs, talk on defense and never let bad inning snowball.

What they all have in common is they can all hit. 1-9 put up quality at bats all game long. They don't strike out a lot and any one of them them can get a hit with runners on base. Even when you are beating them you know they are never out of the game because they will figure out how to hit your pitcher at some point.

Jan 24, 2014
Michigan
Very interesting topic/question.

My daughter play 9u/10u and you are very accurate in your description of asuccessful team in that age bracket, most of the time the pitching dominates.

I had the opportunity to watch what I would consider two very good 14u teams play yesterday and the thing that stuck out to me more than anything was balance. Both pitchers were very good and threw hard yet there were NO strikeouts. Hard ground outs and fly outs. I could not have enjoyed myself more watching those two teams play. I'm not sure that anyone stuck out as much as I was impressed with every aspect of both teams top to bottom.

So I guess I would fall under the 'hitting up and down the lineup' theory but say never forget about the importance of the dominating pitcher.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
If they are not playing ASA they should be

ASA is not the same all over the country, we had a horrible director here when my DD was in those years, the best teams looking for best competition ( within a few 100 miles ) played other org venues. Now a national event, yes ASA is in the top two. But very few can afford national events every weekend.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
ASA is not the same all over the country, we had a horrible director here when my DD was in those years, the best teams looking for best competition ( within a few 100 miles ) played other org venues. Now a national event, yes ASA is in the top two. But very few can afford national events every weekend.

Pretty much true here. The qualifiers and state championships are strong events. But other tournaments are no better and sometimes worse than other organizations in terms of quality of play.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Having a single dominate pitcher is great for HS/college, not so much for tournaments by their format. Having 2 really good, and even two with different pitching techniques/approaches is almost a must. Then a #3 and #4 when the games allow.

Hitting must be consistent, you don't want 5 ".500" hitters and 5 ".150", I'd rather have 10 ".300" myself.

Fielding, has to be not only physically above the average competition, but mentally above them as well. Making routine plays is nice, but making extraordinary plays is what wins the money games.

One thing I noticed as we got older, I did a lot of "coaching" while they were younger, and moved more into "managing" the team/talent after 12u. There is a difference.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
So I guess I would fall under the 'hitting up and down the lineup' theory but say never forget about the importance of the dominating pitcher.

The dominant pitcher will also be the biggest weapon in the game, imo, but there aren't that many of them. So my guess is that if you're talking about being one of the top 5 teams in the country, then yes, you probably need some major talent in the circle, but outside of those rarified teams, I think you just need good pitching and depth all-around. Don't need stars, necessarily. Those good teams often are those that can be missing any one player and not really miss her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarie1234