What makes a great tournament?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
Snocatz,
Is that a slam on the sconies???? I live in the land of Green and Gold (Just barely) in Superior WI and have been to many a tournament and have never seen beer sales (A few out of the trunk of the car after a long day maybe). We were at the Forest Lake tourney this past weekend and I thought I might see one of the SnoCatz teams. Must have been at another tournament.

Poking a little fun at our neighbors to the east. But... I know that there have been complaints by MN teams that beer was being served at youth tournaments in central WI when tourney's were held at adult parks. Also have heard of beer being served at HS football games in WI but that may be urban legend. :cool:

Sorry we missed you. Had teams at Bloomington and our team was in Eagan at an ASA qualfier that weekend. I'm with Snocatz 94 if you ever see us around

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
It's the trophies that make the competition good.

Back when I was competing in the stone age, we walked in the gate and there, behind the people collecting the gate fees, was a table. On that table was one of every trophy for all to see exactly what you were playing for.

There would be little 3rd place team trophys. A little bit bigger 2nd place trophies and HUGE 1st place trophies, individuals and sponsor trophies.

There were also big sized all tourney trophies, MVP trophy and MV Pitcher trophy.

I have never seen any girls tourney offer the last three.

WE KNEW EXACTLY which trophies we wanted and NO WAY would we ever settle for those dinky
2nd or 3rds.

Bring all that back and watch how hard those girls play.

Sep 3, 2009
Saw a couple people mention gate fees...

We have one company that puts on USSSA tournaments, that doesn't charge gate fees. Their tournament fee for a team is about $350 - $400 per tournament. Most though, are right at $350. The local ASA office puts on tournaments as well, and the tournament fee for a team is about $175 - $200. But they do charge gate fees, usually $10 per day, depending on the tournament. Two parents, times 12 kids on a team, 2 day (or god forbid a 3 or 4 day) tournament, and the money adds up. Regardless, the parents are paying no matter what, team fees, or team fees and then at the gate too.

My biggest thing is the field quality. I used to care about the seating, until I started bringing my own foldup chair.

Jan 15, 2009
This year our summer season is shortened by HS State creeping all the way out to June 11th. That makes every weekend more important and I'm coming around to thinking that 90 minute games( or no time limit) might be my new number one request. I'd rather play a 3 game guarantee with 90 minute games than a 5 game guarantee with 65-75 min games. I just like being able to play a complete (or near complete) game every time and starting at 90 minutes means there is built in cushion to shorten the games in case of rain or other delays. 90 minute games to me is a pretty good indicator that the tournament is focused on the game not the money.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Back when I was competing in the stone age, we walked in the gate and there, behind the people collecting the gate fees, was a table. On that table was one of every trophy for all to see exactly what you were playing for.

There would be little 3rd place team trophys. A little bit bigger 2nd place trophies and HUGE 1st place trophies, individuals and sponsor trophies.

There were also big sized all tourney trophies, MVP trophy and MV Pitcher trophy.

I have never seen any girls tourney offer the last three.

WE KNEW EXACTLY which trophies we wanted and NO WAY would we ever settle for those dinky
2nd or 3rds.

Bring all that back and watch how hard those girls play.

HAl, we have played in 2 NIT tournaments this year that gave the MVP and pitching award. I'd like to see that more often. Last year we only played in 1 that gave a pitcher award, USFA State Tournament. ( my DD got that one, just a USFA coin about the size of a silver dollar, but she still was glad to receive it ) A friend of ours played in the USSSA WS last year and they gave a MVP and pitching award.

It may cost the tournament an extra 4-5 dollars, but the kids really like the attention. Receiving a MVP or PA out of 10-18 teams is something to be proud of.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
It's also a good way to get people to stick around. If you are eliminated, you might want to hang around to see if you've won something. Smart thing for the tournament. Instead of the girls who lost the semifinal game heading home, they could hang around to see if they won anything.

Jun 21, 2010
I'm not crazy about individual awards. Seems to always cause discord among parents, and to some degree, the players. Plus, it's too subjective, imo.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'm not crazy about individual awards. Seems to always cause discord among parents, and to some degree, the players. Plus, it's too subjective, imo.

The only time I've seen discomfort between parents on the individual awards is IF our coaches pick the MVP or PA. I like a tourney director to pick. I've also seen tourneys that at the end of each game the opposing team picks a girl off our team and vis versa. Then the picks are tallied up at the end and the award is given. A tie is usually determined by the director.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Well, we (dd's team) just finished our tournament. We host a very nice tournament that has been around for a long time and draws teams from as far away as Indiana and Tennessee. Here are some of the things we do:

• We have 78 teams entered in age brackets from 10U to 18U.
  • We don't charge a gate fee.
  • We (Parents) are assigned to work 7 shifts. These shifts are 4 hours minimum to 6+ hours.
  • We line the field and briefly water the batter's box and pitching circle after every game.
  • After 3-4 games, we have the fire department water the fields down. They bring in two pumpers and can do a diamond in no time. We run this tournament on 11 diamonds and so, there is always a diamond being watered.
  • We have exceptional parking but also offer shuttle service for senior citizens and special needs. We have a contact number and so after a phone call, we sent an 8 passenger ATV to pick you up.
  • We have the best food you are ever going to eat. Our "specials" include beef or chicken kabobs or pork steaks, corn on the cob, baked beans or slaw and a drink for $6. Yes, I said $6! All of this is fixed on the grill starting at 6:00 in the morning with the pork steaks so that they can sit in a sauce and get just right.
  • Our Umpires are the same umpires from our High School Association and so, they are typically very good. This would include a couple of guys who are in the State Softball Hall of Fame.
  • We have an ambulance on hand all day long.
  • We offer practice areas for each diamond and team per diamond along with access to 4 cages with jugs machines and balls.
  • We have vendors like Schutt Sporting Goods who co-sponsor our event.
  • We have "activities" for the little kids.
  • We offer cooling stations with water mist.
  • We have a board for each age group that is up to date with the scores called in and recorded so all can see immediate postings of games along with brackets for every age group.

This is just some of the stuff we do. This was my first year working the tournament. I am so sun burned that my ears are blistered. We had 97 degrees Saturday and I worked two shifts back to back so I was in the sun for 8 hours. Today, I had to do the same. We had severe storms move in and when our lightening detector went off, we stopped all games. We had to use a tie breaker to determine champions sicne there was no way anyone was going to place once the rain started. It is still raining.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Well, we (dd's team) just finished our tournament. We host a very nice tournament that has been around for a long time and draws teams from as far away as Indiana and Tennessee. Here are some of the things we do:

• We have 78 teams entered in age brackets from 10U to 18U.
  • We don't charge a gate fee.
  • We (Parents) are assigned to work 7 shifts. These shifts are 4 hours minimum to 6+ hours.
  • We line the field and briefly water the batter's box and pitching circle after every game.
  • After 3-4 games, we have the fire department water the fields down. They bring in two pumpers and can do a diamond in no time. We run this tournament on 11 diamonds and so, there is always a diamond being watered.
  • We have exceptional parking but also offer shuttle service for senior citizens and special needs. We have a contact number and so after a phone call, we sent an 8 passenger ATV to pick you up.
  • We have the best food you are ever going to eat. Our "specials" include beef or chicken kabobs or pork steaks, corn on the cob, baked beans or slaw and a drink for $6. Yes, I said $6! All of this is fixed on the grill starting at 6:00 in the morning with the pork steaks so that they can sit in a sauce and get just right.
  • Our Umpires are the same umpires from our High School Association and so, they are typically very good. This would include a couple of guys who are in the State Softball Hall of Fame.
  • We have an ambulance on hand all day long.
  • We offer practice areas for each diamond and team per diamond along with access to 4 cages with jugs machines and balls.
  • We have vendors like Schutt Sporting Goods who co-sponsor our event.
  • We have "activities" for the little kids.
  • We offer cooling stations with water mist.
  • We have a board for each age group that is up to date with the scores called in and recorded so all can see immediate postings of games along with brackets for every age group.

This is just some of the stuff we do. This was my first year working the tournament. I am so sun burned that my ears are blistered. We had 97 degrees Saturday and I worked two shifts back to back so I was in the sun for 8 hours. Today, I had to do the same. We had severe storms move in and when our lightening detector went off, we stopped all games. We had to use a tie breaker to determine champions sicne there was no way anyone was going to place once the rain started. It is still raining.

Overall very good tournament indeed!!! One of the best in the Midwest. . .
We appreciate all the hard work the organization does for putting on a fine tournament.
Umpires overall were pretty good. Only issue was with the courtesy runner rule down in the 10s which only came into play once.

The chicken kabobs and corn on the cob are excellent.

Only request I have is next year please turn down the heat. . .;-)