Signed your team up for a tournament BUT THEN...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
Tyger River Complex in Spartanburg, SC is the largest complex close to us. 12 fields plus the stadium field, this place is a cash cow!! I honestly can't imagine 32 fields!!
View attachment 27083
We will be there mid July for a tournament. Looks like a nice park. Anything fun to do around there with the girls while we are there?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
We will be there mid July for a tournament. Looks like a nice park. Anything fun to do around there with the girls while we are there?
Honestly, to me, not really. But I live 70 miles from there so unless we have a late night game and then a early game next morning then I will get a hotel, if not I drive each day. Greenville is 20ish miles from Spartanburg, that's where Anna went to school and lived for 3 years, it is one hopping town with tons to do and great restaurants!

So I guess I'm saying no? 🤷‍♂️

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Played a LOT of tournaments there pattar!! Man in the Summer that place can be a different kind of hot!!

It plays hard and fast, the infield is like playing in the parking lot and the grass is really short kept Bermuda ( at least I think it is? ), any line shot that touches the grass is on the fence in a blink!

And any infielder that lets a ground ball with top spin get to it's third bounce is gonna get eat up, it's a two bounce maximum there!! Seen a bunch of bloody faces at Tyger River!
I dislike field that play like that. Crown Point, Indiana has a similar size complex to the one you mentioned. Crushed limestone infields, that are hard as a rock during the summer months. Ground balls are terrible at the Crown Point complex. The outfields are grass but it is not a very fast playing grass like Bermuda.

They are currently in the process of changing some or all of the fields in Crown Point to turf. Personally, I would rather play on turf than limestone. Limestone just eats up softball pants when you slide, lots of raspberries after a tournament there.

Jun 8, 2016
I dislike field that play like that. Crown Point, Indiana has a similar size complex to the one you mentioned. Crushed limestone infields, that are hard as a rock during the summer months. Ground balls are terrible at the Crown Point complex. The outfields are grass but it is not a very fast playing grass like Bermuda.
My HS IF had something like that (it just looked like ground stones..) I still have a scar on my rear/leg from sliding on it continuously without sliding pants..

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My HS IF had something like that (it just looked like ground stones..) I still have a scar on my rear/leg from sliding on it continuously without sliding pants..
Those fields are common in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. They're very hard, and the dust causes issues for pitchers gripping the ball. Every year at NE Finest, we get stuck in a complex with those fields.

Jun 20, 2015
The city of Columbus owns Berliner and collects the gate fee. Cars $5, Vehicles with trailers are $10, and big RV's are $15. PER DAY. BUT they have been putting funds back into the park. Many fields with lights, all turf infields to get games in after rain. Expanding parking areas. removal of brushy areas that were used by homeless / transient persons. field improvements with better dugouts.

Now the concessions is another matter. Believe it is contracted with Wright Concessions. (at least that's what the signs all say). Yes, there is an app now. BUT also the prices have significantly increased the past 2 seasons and service has not sped up in my experience.

And traffic getting in at say 7am on Saturday is always backed up. And departing at say 9pm Saturday or 3pm Sunday is a slow slog.

And the highways close by have been under some form of construction for going on 9 years. Maybe longer. They were under work when my DD started at 12u, and they still are and she's 21 now!!!

But if you want to see teams play, all in one location and see multiple players as a college coach.... hard to beat. On big tourney weekends, there will be games on all fields fri, sat and Sun, from dawn to dusk and even later. And yes, they tend to put the 8, 10 and 12 u out away from the quads (like fields 22-32), making it easier for the 14, 16 & 18u to be more centrally located for ease of access for coaches.

Quite the place honestly and living only 90 miles away, I sort of take it for granted most weekends.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Even better, the gate fee is $5 per car! And you can order concessions through their app!
Yeah. we play there 3-4 times a year since we're only 2 1/2 hours away. It's a nice facility overall. All of the fields have a minimum of a turf infield. Some are all turf. When the sun's out, the temp on the all-turf fields can get to be 115 degrees or so, and when it rains, the outfields of the partial turf fields don't drain very well so they get a little slick. But they're also playing 10 minutes after it quits. The concession stands and permanent bathrooms are far and few between. You can order by app and then sit in traffic for 20 minutes trying to drive to the concession stand because it's literally a mile walk each way if you're on the end fields to the nearest concession stand. Luckily, sno-cone stands, other concession stands and port-o-potties are prevalent throughout. Parking overall, is decent but make sure not to leave anything valuable in the car if you want to keep it...even if locked. The other thing to mention is you can sit in traffic for an hour trying to get out after your last game.

With all of that said, we love playing there. You just have to be prepared and expect it so you don't get frustrated or angry.

Aug 5, 2022

They are currently in the process of changing some or all of the fields in Crown Point to turf. Personally, I would rather play on turf than limestone. Limestone just eats up softball pants when you slide, lots of raspberries after a tournament there.

I fair number of the scars on dds legs and elbows are from those crown point fields. They do drain well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariafermin279