First PGF, What to expect.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2022
Anyone can play PGF platinum and super select and regionals. Some organizations will send their odd year teams to platinum…bolts has done this. Some do not…bandits play premier at all ages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 1, 2023
Anyone can play PGF platinum and super select and regionals. Some organizations will send their odd year teams to platinum…bolts has done this. Some do not…bandits play premier at all ages.

My DD played the Bandits top 13U team in 2 Super Select 14-U championships. I thought they were Platinum (I think they originally were called that), but they are now listed as 14-U Open. They also had Premier and Platinum divisions. Open was all 13-U teams.

But some spring tourneys are listed as Platinum. These are all 13-u teams, and include Bandit Premier teams that played in Premier 12-u Nationals. IMG_4720.jpeg

IMG_4721.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022
Apologies…what I meant was bandits do not typically have odd year teams play PGF platinum at nationals in California. There was one year recently with a specific team that is no longer with the organization that played platinum at either 11u or 13u one summer. They had won either 10u or 12u the year before. Bill also sometimes doesn’t send the 11u and 13u teams to California either unless the parents just really want to go or the team really has a legit shot of winning it especially with the recruiting rules changes. They will play age in some things like super select etc. It’s ever evolving and some of the younger teams are doing things dds team didn’t do at that age. Parents change, kids change, the landscape changes for good and bad. As PGF has expanded its tournament presence the quality of teams entered has gone down at the younger ages especially but people are drawn to the well run tournaments and in many cases longer game time format vs other local options. It’s rare to have PGF pool shorter than 75 and many times it’s its 80 and many times a full 7 in bracket. In USSSA by me we never see more than 65 in pool and maybe 70 in bracket. It’s a joke.

Oct 4, 2018
We loved the PGF Super Select tournaments. Best competition we saw all year. They end at first year 14U and I'm sad we don't get to play in them anymore.

Jun 11, 2013
Well after battling our first 11U season, We are moving into our 12U(second season) season. In our first season we did nothing but USSSA,Cowart tournments, Our coach did not want to move us into harder competition until we proved we belonged there. We don't chase rings, we pick tournaments to compete in. In our last tournament we came in 2nd, Was officially rained out, we were 5-0. we successfully took wins over 3 2nd year 12U teams that were considered very strong true B teams. Our fall season is now officially stacked with PGF tournaments.
What can we expect to see in these tournaments, We are carrying 12 players(4 Pitchers,2 catchers). All but 1 player have been with this team for 3+ years. We have stuck together since the first season of 10U, and others have been together since 8U.
What makes PGF tournaments different from USSSA/FASA/USA/NCS,etc.....

Thank you in advance.
As you move up what you'll notice is that the lineups are much deeper, the defense is much better and the pitching is all good to great.

Jan 1, 2023
We loved the PGF Super Select tournaments. Best competition we saw all year. They end at first year 14U and I'm sad we don't get to play in them anymore.
I didn’t realize the Super Selects go away after 14-U. What type of tournaments do 16-u and up go to?

Jan 1, 2023
I’m pretty sure our DD’s teams played each other in Florida, although they both pitched in the second game against other teams and not against each other.

Aug 5, 2022
I didn’t realize the Super Selects go away after 14-U. What type of tournaments do 16-u and up go to?

PGF teams mostly do big show cases at 16u and above like the sparkler power pool, IDT, Easton/Rawlings in Chicago, top gun in KS are some we played I’m sure there are many other big ones in other parts of the country I’m not aware of.

Oct 4, 2018

It took me quite a while to connect the dots on this. A guy named Jeff Mack runs the PGF Super Selects, and he draws names out of a hat and places them on the board. He broadcasts it all on Facebook and compliments the teams and coaches and comments on match-ups and it's really pretty cool.

I talked to him last year. Nice guy, lives up north somewhere and puts these on. Most that we've been to are in Tennessee and Alabama and such.

Turns out, the 13U teams are still in 8th grade, so no high school conflicts. So 13U Spring Super Select is where it caps out. At older ages you lose a ton of teams and players to High School ball.

Our Georgia team is facing that issue now. Until y'all finish High School ball, our tournaments are mostly against other Georgia teams. And that gets old.

So yes, we play local Georgia tourneys in Spring, and then kick it into high gear in Summer with all the national tournaments (Patriot Games, IDT, Sparkler, Triple Crown, PGF Nationals, etc.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles