Tournament formats - Everyone gets a ring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2019
I think after 10-11U most of the girls don’t even care about the trophies, medals, or rings. They probably would prefer gift cards to Ulta or Starbucks. I thought the PGF trophies were nice, though, as they were crystal.

Yep, that's part of my concern. My DD just tosses her rings in a drawer or leaves them in the car console and I find them when I wash the car. They just don't mean anything anymore.

The other part is that all of this is coming at the expense of rec leagues. Rec leagues are dying en masse because of these low level tournaments. The talent level is the same as rec and the girls aren't getting any better because the coaching is subpar. Parents think their kids are killing it because they win "championships" every week but the truth is that most of them won't play past 8th or 9th grade because they're not developing as players. Meanwhile, the TDs are laughing all the way to the bank because they're charging teams $300 per tournament and parents $10 per day to watch their kids play what is essentially rec ball.

Jul 11, 2023
I guess I am not old enough to remember the glory days where children were forced to be as miserable as adults and only a select few true winners got to have fun.

Were they all making it out of rec league and past high school ball?

And again, how do we fix the travesty of the game?

Quite frankly, I am glad my DD doesn't have to live by someone's narrow view of success and I can teach her how success is relative and not absolute.

Oct 4, 2018
Yep, that's part of my concern. My DD just tosses her rings in a drawer or leaves them in the car console and I find them when I wash the car. They just don't mean anything anymore.

The other part is that all of this is coming at the expense of rec leagues. Rec leagues are dying en masse because of these low level tournaments. The talent level is the same as rec and the girls aren't getting any better because the coaching is subpar. Parents think their kids are killing it because they win "championships" every week but the truth is that most of them won't play past 8th or 9th grade because they're not developing as players. Meanwhile, the TDs are laughing all the way to the bank because they're charging teams $300 per tournament and parents $10 per day to watch their kids play what is essentially rec ball.

Yeah, but the coaching in rec is often sub par. Certainly was for us. Just parents trying their best. I think the girls improve more in low-level travel than in rec simply because they play and practice more. More games per week, more practices per year.

It is sad if it's pricing people out of softball. Rec can be under $1000 for a full year (two seasons) and travel almost never is.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I would have loved it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You as a 10U player would have loved it, or you as a parent of a 10U would have loved it: "Gee, Suzy, since you don't drink coffee yet I'll hang on to that gift card for you...":)

My thought bubble was after a hectic, noisy weekend of ball, parents look forward to a nice, quiet drive home to decompress. Instead, they have to stop by Starbucks and get Suzy all hopped up on sugar and caffeine.

Aug 5, 2022
You as a 10U player would have loved it, or you as a parent of a 10U would have loved it: "Gee, Suzy, since you don't drink coffee yet I'll hang on to that gift card for you...":)

My thought bubble was after a hectic, noisy weekend of ball, parents look forward to a nice, quiet drive home to decompress. Instead, they have to stop by Starbucks and get Suzy all hopped up on sugar and caffeine.

My kids get lemonades and pink drinks at Starbucks so they and I would be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
I'm lost ... are we complaining about the brackets or kids actually getting something to commemorate their experience? Or is it that trophies and rings don't actually mean anything?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles