What is the purpose?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
I have never been able to understand why pitchers are put in the circle for "outfield" before game especially, i understand all the practicality of warm up groundballs etc, but i notice a lot of pitchers don't have quality pitching warm up time, yet they are placed on the diamond, standing watchin a lot of throws that don't involve them at all. And what bothers me on the outfield, is one slip of a miss hit and you've drilled your pitcher. Apparently this for some reason, relates to girls more than men but?

I did see 1 DIV 1 team in the tourney that did not place the pitcher there until infield prior to the game, but still was a lot of standing and was limited to the circle, no backups.

Sep 5, 2012
I take just the opposite approach. I don't think that pitchers partake in OF & IF drills enough!

Pitcher's are the primary backup for throws from the OF coming in to 3B & HP. They should also be in position to backup throws from CF coming in to 2B or even cover it when both middle IFers go out on short popups to the OF. They've also go to be ready to cover 1B on balls hit to the right side. If they don't practice these things, how are they going to execute properly during a game? I can't tell you how many times I've seen a pitcher blow their coverage because they don't practice it!

I'll challenge you with this:

There is absolutely no play in softball (or baseball) that every single defensive player in fair territory should not be moving on. Whether it's to make a play, cover a base, backup a throw or in preparation of additional play in the event of an error/misplay.

Nothing irks me more than seeing a defensive player just standing there watching the action. If they want to watch, let them sit on the bench or in the stands. Once a pitcher releases the ball, they become a defensive player with much more responsibilities than just covering bunts or balls hit back at them.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
If you don't know that by game time with 5 weekly practices or more, there is a discoinnect some where, game time shoild be game preparation, pitcher warming up on the sidelines, these drills for backup should be done during the week.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
If you don't know that by game time with 5 weekly practices or more, there is a discoinnect some where, game time shoild be game preparation, pitcher warming up on the sidelines, these drills for backup should be done during the week.

But you posted this but i notice a lot of pitchers don't have quality pitching warm up time. Shouldn't that be done during the week, also? After all, the pitching distance isn't going to change, but the configuration or environment of the field may not be the same.

Really? A lot of people think pitchers throw too much as it is. If the pitcher needs to warm up for any other reason than getting loose and comfortable with the surrounding environment......well, let's say that a good pitcher should already be prepared for a game, long before pre-game practice.

I feel the same about batting practice. If you don't have you swing down by the beginning of the season, you have bigger problems than pre-game practice.

What is the standard for pitchers before game warm up?

It did kind of throw me for a loop when I had two of my pitching parents tell me on different occasions that their daughter needed time before the game of about 20 to 30 mins to warm up. That seemed pretty excessive but maybe I am just to new to softball. I figured before game I take my two pitchers for about 10 mins and throw with them ending with about 20 full pitches and call it good, which is what I had to do anyway since they were lucky to show up 30 mins before game but that is another story.

Dec 20, 2012
But you posted this but i notice a lot of pitchers don't have quality pitching warm up time. Shouldn't that be done during the week, also? After all, the pitching distance isn't going to change, but the configuration or environment of the field may not be the same.

Really? A lot of people think pitchers throw too much as it is. If the pitcher needs to warm up for any other reason than getting loose and comfortable with the surrounding environment......well, let's say that a good pitcher should already be prepared for a game, long before pre-game practice.

I feel the same about batting practice. If you don't have you swing down by the beginning of the season, you have bigger problems than pre-game practice.

You are taking the wrong logic. How would a pitcher "warm up" days before the game. Why wouldn't you take swings before a game? By your reasoning there is no reason to play catch before a game. Take a jog, stretch, then play ball! It is not pregame practice, it is pregame warm up. BIG DIFFERENCE. Have you ever played? If not then you would not know about little glitches that players get in swings, pitches, .... For instance a pitcher that throws a curve may get more break on gameday than they did the day before. Would you want to know this prior to the game or after the first pitch is thrown? This happens to all players, not just the novice. Just like race cars, before every race they take practice laps. Then make adjustments in order to get the most out of the car. Players tweak and make adjustments before and during games. You have know idea what to to adjust until you go thru the motions. What type of roll are you getting in the infield? Do slappers need to allow more give in the bat or is the dirt loose and dies as soon as it hits the ground. How is the ball traveling in the outfield? Does it die in the grass? Is the grass so high the outfielders are a little slower? Does the pitcher have a solid surface to plant and drag or is she going to be throwing out of a hole all game? More than get loose and play.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
My pitchers need at least 20 minutes, to warm up. I can watch girls pitch and tell that they aren't warmed up. Some don't get there until the 3rd inning. The first inning is horrible, 2nd inning a little better, and finally they are "on." I might say to someone "Well, she finally got warm." They just look at me.

I don't think that most girls even know what we mean by warm.

Mar 18, 2013
What is the standard for pitchers before game warm up?

It did kind of throw me for a loop when I had two of my pitching parents tell me on different occasions that their daughter needed time before the game of about 20 to 30 mins to warm up.

The quality of my daughters pitching seems to be tied to her warm up and 20-30 mins sounds about right, assuming no other throwing before warm up for pitching. Want bad results....rush her warm up.:)

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
You are taking the wrong logic. How would a pitcher "warm up" days before the game. Why wouldn't you take swings before a game? By your reasoning there is no reason to play catch before a game. Take a jog, stretch, then play ball! It is not pregame practice, it is pregame warm up. BIG DIFFERENCE. Have you ever played? If not then you would not know about little glitches that players get in swings, pitches, .... For instance a pitcher that throws a curve may get more break on gameday than they did the day before. Would you want to know this prior to the game or after the first pitch is thrown? This happens to all players, not just the novice. Just like race cars, before every race they take practice laps. Then make adjustments in order to get the most out of the car. Players tweak and make adjustments before and during games. You have know idea what to to adjust until you go thru the motions. What type of roll are you getting in the infield? Do slappers need to allow more give in the bat or is the dirt loose and dies as soon as it hits the ground. How is the ball traveling in the outfield? Does it die in the grass? Is the grass so high the outfielders are a little slower? Does the pitcher have a solid surface to plant and drag or is she going to be throwing out of a hole all game? More than get loose and play.

You are taking the wrong logic. How would a pitcher "warm up" days before the game.

This is so idiotic it's beyond reality!

Apr 2, 2013
20 minutes to warm up a pitcher is nothing unusual. My DD (& all our pitchers) take a minimum of 20-30 mins to warm up properly. And to be honest, that doesnt include a lot of full-out pitches either...just stretches, overhead throws, underarm K throws etc.

DD trialed for a team recently where she was asked (with no warm up at all) to just 'run out and pitch for us'. The coach was clueless and fortunately I had at least gotten some overhand throwing in with DD before we arrived. DD performed well, but if it was a real game there was no way she was adequately prepared to pitch consecutive innings. Aside from that, I was seething at the lack of warm up...it's a fast track to injury, not safe at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz