What is unacceptable umpiring behavior (as a fellow umpire)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Someone messaged me privately saying that I go out of my way to 'protect' or 'defend' umpires...

In many ways, yes, I am going to give the umpire the benefit of the doubt especially when we are only getting one side of what happened. I wasn't there - I don't know what ACTUALLY happened - nor what happened before or after (even when I have video). And I understand what any umpire goes through, their situations, why they are doing it, etc., etc. I understand the weekend umpire who doesn't get training as well as the full-time pro umpire getting to umpire pro sports. I have been both of those at various times in various sports -sometimes at the same time (like a couple of years go when I was umpiring a new sport because they needed some quick help due to lack of umpires)

But there are three things that are just totally unacceptable.
  • Not giving whatever effort you can
  • Not being willing to learn when you have the opportunity
  • Throwing your partner official under the bus when you are working with them (which is an effort to totally protect yourself)
Almost everything else I can forgive. You can have bad days. make some bad calls and so on, but if you are out their literally doing your best, I will be on your side. I understand it is game 6 today because you were willing to work - give me what you have left. I understand when you didn't understand the rule and made the wrong call - if you are also willing to discuss rules/methods/etc after games and ask questions and research situations and improve - I will be on your side. If you 'got it wrong' but are willing to 'make sure you get it right next time' then I am on your side.

But if you do the three things above, then believe me, I hate you as an official more than any coach or parent.

And that is why 3 of the 12 umpires we did assessments on for HS playoff assignments last week wont be on the field for playoffs and are probably not going to be doing any 'interesting' games the rest of this season. It is also why my next three games I am partnered with a newer umpire who we are going to be moving through quickly - she is raw but she works hard and is a total sponge for knowledge. She is inline to get a playoff game this season.

Over the last few weeks I umpired games in Rec, travel, HS, NAIA, JUCO, NCAA D3 and NCAA D2 plus umpired another sport in MS and HS and also did my 'real job'. I take pride that I treated every game as seriously as the next - and yes that included the rec games.

And yes I got calls right and wrong - I blew a delayed dead ball call in a college game because they changed the rule this year and in every other sanction it is immediately dead and always has been. I knew it - I read it the previous evening - but yep, I called it. Coach wasn't happy but I owned it, and managed it... it was fine though it bugged me for the rest of the day. I am sure I missed a lot of close balls and strikes over those games - even the best miss a few a game - but only 1 blatant miss (yep, I can still see THAT pitch and my missed call - it was clearly a strike - fortunately the batter grounded out next pitch). But I know I did my best... and that my legs hurt.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021
"Good" sports officials are becoming rare. Below average/average is the norm. There is a difference between just not being good at officiating and unacceptable behavior. I have worn many hats over the years. Supporting GOOD officials is a must from all stake holders.

A GOOD Official will be impartial, non-vindictive, interested in continuing education, and willing to "Get the Call Right". Good officiating makes for good games.

Arrogance, ego, laziness have no place. Confidence and team work does. This past season of middle school basketball was pretty bad on the officials side. Pretty sure I saw all the bad traits in one short season. From below minimum competence in skills, high bad call rate, to outright bias toward a certain team.

Bad behavior gets you noticed by SafeSport, ethics departments, injury lawyers, etc.

Good luck this spring/summer season.

Oct 10, 2018
I like to think all umps are doing their best. Sometimes they make a wrong call - it happens. All umps should know the rules and when to apply them (infield fly for example) but no matter how well s/he knows the rules sometimes that pitch that was below the knee appeared above the knee. Sometimes the runner who beat the tag appeared not to. And vice-versa. *shrug* I never let it bother me b/c I know for every call that went against my DD's team, there was one in their favor.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Unacceptable for umpire to make comments to players about the other team.

Unacceptable to flirt with the players.

Not certain if this one's unacceptable but it is certainly terrible for an Umpire to stay in one spot 8 ft behind the plate and try to make every call on the field. Have to get an angle on things especially foul balls.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
And yes I got calls right and wrong
That right there maybe one of the biggest differences with umpires/people.

Certain Umpires think they are absolutely always right.
imo that approach to how they are trying to officiate draws a line of arrogance/ego in the dirt.

That approach puts ego before the game. And that in itself think is what angers / frustrates other people / coaches players parents.

The reasons I say 'the umpire is right even when they're wrong' is actually a respectful comment. Acknowledging that humans are not perfect. And acknowledging that they have the job of being the official and I'm going to respect however they come about their decisions. Because I recognize that not all umpires /people have the same interpretations in making their judgment decisions.
But I also say 'the umpire is right even when they're wrong' is because sometimes they are just an arrogant/ego person. The kind that think they could never make a mistake.
Because I recognize for some umpires that supersedes actually officiating the game. There is no reason to inquire about things with them.

I have always and will continue to focus on playing the game and not focus on officiating the Umpire.

Thank you umpires for doing what you do. Right wrong or inconsistent we still need somebody to play that role on the field.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I appreciate the comments of umpires here on the forums despite the fact that I am intentionally harsh with my comments at times.

There is feedback to umpires which cannot be made when they are working a game. What I have found is if my feedback to umpires on these forums isn’t extremely direct, umpires tend to brush off those comments. I have not decided why that is the case but I believe it to be true.

That being said: in college games that I have watched in person and then had the benefit of watching on tv, umpires get most calls right. I have made a point to make note of the calls that draws the most “outrage” from the fans and I what I’m finding is that we fans are usually wrong.

Also, the SEC is doing limited replay/challenges. I think I have yet to see a call overturned. Even the calls I was sure were wrong from the cheap seats.

I am also sometimes surprised that NCAA coaches don’t always have a totally firm grip on the rules. This varies… some do some don’t.

I do have a criticism of an NCAA umpire- earlier in the season, the team I watch had a meathead umpire who was shooing a female head coach back into the dugout door like she was some 10u coach. It really irritated me. She has spent her entire life on a softball field. She gets paid half a mil a year. She sits in the same place every home game every year I have watched. This meat head was buddy buddy with the male opposing coach. Not a good look. If you are an umpire who hasn’t considered this kind of dynamic, you should. Nobody is going to tell Patrick Murphy to quit wandering out of the dugout when his team is on defense. Nobody says anything to Grandpa Dean about aimlessly tripping about the field complaining about his HIE breakfast. Don’t be the meathead telling a female coach to move her bucket “for her own good”. I guarantee that she doesn’t need your help and you are being a d)(& whether you realize it or not.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I do have a criticism of an NCAA umpire- earlier in the season, the team I watch had a meathead umpire who was shooing a female head coach back into the dugout door like she was some 10u coach. It really irritated me. She has spent her entire life on a softball field. She gets paid half a mil a year. She sits in the same place every home game every year I have watched. This meat head was buddy buddy with the male opposing coach. Not a good look. If you are an umpire who hasn’t considered this kind of dynamic, you should. Nobody is going to tell Patrick Murphy to quit wandering out of the dugout when his team is on defense. Nobody says anything to Grandpa Dean about aimlessly tripping about the field complaining about his HIE breakfast. Don’t be the meathead telling a female coach to move her bucket “for her own good”. I guarantee that she doesn’t need your help and you are being a d)(& whether you realize it or not.
That story is an excellent reminder for umpires to
Keep interaction neutral!

Jul 19, 2021
Also unacceptable are those that create their own rules. Or specifically, their own strike zone. How big is one’s ego when they take it upon themselves to create their own strike zone? Call it by the book.

Feb 15, 2017
I appreciate the comments of umpires here on the forums despite the fact that I am intentionally harsh with my comments at times.

There is feedback to umpires which cannot be made when they are working a game. What I have found is if my feedback to umpires on these forums isn’t extremely direct, umpires tend to brush off those comments. I have not decided why that is the case but I believe it to be true.

That being said: in college games that I have watched in person and then had the benefit of watching on tv, umpires get most calls right. I have made a point to make note of the calls that draws the most “outrage” from the fans and I what I’m finding is that we fans are usually wrong.

Also, the SEC is doing limited replay/challenges. I think I have yet to see a call overturned. Even the calls I was sure were wrong from the cheap seats.

I am also sometimes surprised that NCAA coaches don’t always have a totally firm grip on the rules. This varies… some do some don’t.

Seen at least 5 SEC calls reversed in the last few weeks. Today SC vs Bama and a runner called safe was reversed to out. A few weeks ago Auburn runner called safe reversed to out.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad