Look Back Rule? I don't know what happened.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
You are correct that they have to make an immediate decision, after that they just need to be moving. Important to understand only if the team on offense is exploiting the rule.
I have seen a couple teams do this over the years. They were fast and knew the rules. Not a lot you could do about it.

That is why I hate the lookback rule.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Literally just the other day I was looking up information about a particular D1 coach and found a story from when she was playing in the college World Series for UCLA and try to advance in between pitches to the next base thinking the pitcher was not in the circle with the ball and she got called out. Because of the same look back rule.

It has been my experience that if a Runner comes off the base and the ball gets back in the circle and the runner is still standing off the base, that is considered 'challenging'
if they don't immediately make a decision to go one way or the other.

Just observation

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Truthfully, I think the ump did give her the second to decide before calling her out.

Another newbie...no, no, no. Never, ever say the ump was right.

And, this is *softball*...where all the errors are hits, the coaches are all wise, and the hitters are all above average.

Try this instead: "The umpire was clearly biased. So what if she took out her phone and called her mom about what to do next?"

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Look back rule had me befuddled when DD first starting playing softball..or more accurately I had no idea
it was a rule so when it was called for the first time in one of DD's game I was "WTH just happened.." 🤣

Apr 23, 2020
SE Wisconsin
Look back rule had me befuddled when DD first starting playing softball..or more accurately I had no idea
it was a rule so when it was called for the first time in one of DD's game I was "WTH just happened.." 🤣

DP / Flex still has me befuddled! Fortunately (I guess) we use continuous batting order.

Jan 10, 2022
The LBR is an opportunity for the teams that understand it. First - your players need to know it cold. Make them teach their parents it as well. Second- if you’re confused by it, ask any umpire to take the time before or after a game or off location to explain it to your team. He would love to. Some may not want to help but plenty will.

To guard against the runner going to second after a walk, get the ball to the pitcher and have her post up at the edge of the circle near the second baseman’s fielding position and if she goes under hand flip to the 2B for a tag mid baseline and a return throw to home to get 3B. Or Are you going to give up the steal of second on the next pitch and not make a play on the runner stealing second? Or are you gonna have a trick play on to catch the R3 heading home on a throw. Because most coaches are stealing 2nd on the first pitch. Odds are u just accept the runners on 2 and 3. Just throw a first pitch strike and at least your pitcher is up 0-1. Most times that’s a take and batter isn’t swinging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802