What is unacceptable umpiring behavior (as a fellow umpire)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
As an ump myself; I hate it when umps try to be the center of attention. We've all seen the Tik Tok of the goofball clown doing a little dance around in a circle before making the out call at home. Pure buffoonery.

I also hate it when umps go overboard on nitpicking stuff.
LIKE that there are umpires who post on DFP and we can see their 'different' to each-others thinking processes to their role on the field.

*GOOD LUCK to your dd's continued career choice in softball!

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I'm probably in the minority on this one and it's not the most egregious affront to the softball gods; a 3rd strike call should look just the same as the call for strike one or two. No "punch out" or "ripping the phone book" or any other moves to add drama to the call. I see it as an umpire adding excitement to a play made by the defense. An umpire would definitely get called to the carpet for adding some pizazz to a home run call by acting if he's twirling a lasso and roping the batter as she rounds the bases.

May 17, 2012
As an ump myself; I hate it when umps try to be the center of attention. We've all seen the Tik Tok of the goofball clown doing a little dance around in a circle before making the out call at home. Pure buffoonery.

It some some softball associations not only is it common it's a part of the show. I wish we had more of it.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
She went out to do two sets of our championships last year and the UIC is like "Yeah, you have to LOOK for stuff to call."
While I agree that no sports official should go looking for things to call, that is different from "You have to see everything and not be hesitant to enforce the rules"

Nov 23, 2021
SC
Seen at least 5 SEC calls reversed in the last few weeks. Today SC vs Bama and a runner called safe was reversed to out. A few weeks ago Auburn runner called safe reversed to out.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
i was at the friday game to watch Fouts pitch. i wasn't even aware they were able to challenge plays, but all the coach did was touch her head, umps went to some heads sets near the dugout, reversed the call, and continued play. No arguments from either coach, whole thing took like 2 minutes. there were two replays that game. Very successful if you ask me.

Aug 25, 2019
I'm probably in the minority on this one and it's not the most egregious affront to the softball gods; a 3rd strike call should look just the same as the call for strike one or two. No "punch out" or "ripping the phone book" or any other moves to add drama to the call. I see it as an umpire adding excitement to a play made by the defense. An umpire would definitely get called to the carpet for adding some pizazz to a home run call by acting if he's twirling a lasso and roping the batter as she rounds the bases.
The "punch out" is standard umpire mechanics taught in class. I agree if shouldn't be outrageous, but it has to be different from strike one and two calls.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The "punch out" is standard umpire mechanics taught in class. I agree if shouldn't be outrageous, but it has to be different from strike one and two calls.
?? Punch out is standard??
Imagine that... not certain have seen that be different all the time 🤔

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Interesting, didn't know that.
Just spitballing here; maybe ball four should have some added mechanic in its call. Just watched another game where the batter had a long at-bat fouling off pitches, then tried to take her base on ball three. Runner on first jogged half-way to 2nd, then sprinted the rest of the way. Maybe the mistake was intentional, maybe not. Either way a well-pronounced ball four call could help clarify those situations.

Jul 27, 2021
Just spitballing here; maybe ball four should have some added mechanic in its call. Just watched another game where the batter had a long at-bat fouling off pitches, then tried to take her base on ball three. Runner on first jogged half-way to 2nd, then sprinted the rest of the way. Maybe the mistake was intentional, maybe not. Either way a well-pronounced ball four call could help clarify those situations.
In ump training it is explained that you do not want two things/or opposites to sound/look like the same or close that there would be confusion.

I am not a fan of the quiet ump. Just a little normal talking/volume goes so far.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
Umpires do have a clear signal for ball 4: extend right arm & direct batter/runner to first base.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles