Look Back Rule? I don't know what happened.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
I am not sure what exactly happened. I am hoping that someone might be able to tell me if the ump made a mistake or I don't understand the rules.

I believe this is what happened, but as things move quickly, it is possible something might be slightly out of order. I know 6 started before 7, but maybe it did not finish before 7? Would it make a difference?
  1. One out, runner on third.
  2. Dropped third, swing and miss on a CU that bounced.
  3. The catchers throw to 1st pulls 1B off the base, Batter Runner is safe at first.
  4. Runner on third advances home on the catchers throw to first.
  5. 1B throws home. Runner safe at home.
  6. Runner now on 1st advances to 2nd on the throw home and rounds 2nd to see what is going on.
  7. The ball goes back to the pitcher in the circle.
  8. Run who rounded 2nd is still standing off the base.
  9. Umpire (one umpire game :( ) calls the runner on 2B out because she did not return to 2nd quickly enough.

Thanks for the help

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I am not sure what exactly happened. I am hoping that someone might be able to tell me if the ump made a mistake or I don't understand the rules.

I believe this is what happened, but as things move quickly, it is possible something might be slightly out of order. I know 6 started before 7, but maybe it did not finish before 7? Would it make a difference?
  1. One out, runner on third.
  2. Dropped third, swing and miss on a CU that bounced.
  3. The catchers throw to 1st pulls 1B off the base, Batter Runner is safe at first.
  4. Runner on third advances home on the catchers throw to first.
  5. 1B throws home. Runner safe at home.
  6. Runner now on 1st advances to 2nd on the throw home and rounds 2nd to see what is going on.
None of this matters

1. The ball goes back to the pitcher in the circle.
  2. Run who rounded 2nd is still standing off the base.
  3. Umpire (one umpire game :( ) calls the runner on 2B out because she did not return to 2nd quickly enough

Once the ball is with the pitcher in the circle and she is not making a play on the runner, the runner needs to return to their base or continue to the next base. If they are just standing there not moving for any sort of time they are out by look back rule.

Jun 20, 2015
usually it's a sec or so they have to go back or advance. It's not an instantaneous thing. UNLESS the runner is dancing back and forth, then often the umps pull the trigger quick on the 'out' call.

Sep 19, 2018
Well then, I learned something new. I always thought the look back was only on a walk and rounding 1st.

Thank you.

Truthfully, I think the ump did give her the second to decide before calling her out.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Marriard nailed it. None of the other stuff matters.

I really like to remember it this way, and it might help in the future

“The look back rule is in effect when the batter runner has reached first base and the pitcher has the ball in the circle

The look back rule is like a light switch. It can be switched on and off. For example, “an attempt”, by the pitcher with the ball in the circle temporarily shuts off the look back rule. That’s a thing that an umpire has to decide…

Also remember, the runner has to advance or return. It doesn’t say how fast they have to advance or return, it just says the have to do it.

Jun 20, 2015
actually applies at all bases. and after every pitch also. They lead off and the ball goes right back to the circle, no play by pitcher:? advance, retreat, or she's out.

Jun 20, 2015
we had a runner called out on lead off before, had lead off, started back, caught a spike and tripped, and started towards 2b again. immediately called out.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Judgement call by ump. Rule is the runner needs to make an immediate desesion to go forward or backwards. What immediate means is up to ump. Rules also do not state the speed runner must go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802