What drills to do to improve my daughters succes at the plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I wonder if this could be improved by throwing from out front i.e. from a direction the pitch would come from?

To assist with 2 (soft)eyes on the ball.

I don't know if the word 'improved' makes sense ... but there is a drill that some folks refer to as the Barry Bonds drill that is similar and has the hitter in their normal stance. The advantage of the drill above is that it is ideal for teaching the concept of a 'soft focus' ... and from there the notion is to bring that concept into a hitter's swing.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
I understand the Barry Bonds drill involves hitting off machine pitched balls and moving closer each time the hitter has success. Not sure why you referred to this drill unless you think of the Bonds drill in another way.
Making this "soft focus" drill reflect real hitting as much as possible by the balls coming at the hitter from the same angle a pitched ball would come from. IE the hitter looking left (RH hitter) instead of looking forward(soft toss style).

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I understand the Barry Bonds drill involves hitting off machine pitched balls and moving closer each time the hitter has success. Not sure why you referred to this drill unless you think of the Bonds drill in another way.
Making this "soft focus" drill reflect real hitting as much as possible by the balls coming at the hitter from the same angle a pitched ball would come from. IE the hitter looking left (RH hitter) instead of looking forward(soft toss style).

That would be a different Barry Bonds drill.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
TR, let me give you a brief description of the above drill.

The student is square to the person tossing the balls. The balls are thrown to the student’s 'left side' and 'right side' randomly and in rapid progression. The intent is for the student to learn to use and rely on peripheral vision. Immediately after catching a ball in one hand another ball can be in mid flight to the same side, or opposite side. By using a soft focus the student learns that they are capable of tracking balls quite effectively ... and they learn what a 'soft focus' is about.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...301-where-would-i-find-barry-bonds-drill.html

Found this link somewhere. Some guy who has been banned. If this isn't the Bonds drill you are speaking of please explain what you mean.

A drill that is referred to as the "Barry Bonds" drill has the hitter in their batting position without a bat ... they catch balls thrown into the strike zone ... similar to what you see in the above drill, but with the hitter in a normal batting position instead of square to the person tossing the balls. The drill does not necessarily encourage a 'soft focus' though.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Thanks for the explain FFS.
I still feel the drill can be done from an angle reflective of a hitting position improving the drill by incorporating inside/outside/high/low type pitches using soft focus.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
A drill that is referred to as the "Barry Bonds" drill has the hitter in their batting position without a bat ... they catch balls thrown into the strike zone ... similar to what you see in the above drill, but with the hitter in a normal batting position instead of square to the person tossing the balls. The drill does not necessarily encourage a 'soft focus' though.

AH, Same page... Disregard..TR

Oct 10, 2011
Knight ... let me leave you with this ... a clip of Manny working on a drill to help promote having a soft focus.

ayr2nn.gif
We do a drill similar to this but we use two tennis balls being bounced to the left and the right. The two balls start out one at a time and then eventually go at the same time. The players head is to move as little as possible but sometimes the person bouncing gets a little off on their throws. It's a great way to warm up and the girls love it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MalWood1013