WCWS radar gun

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
We had 3 D1 commits in our League. They were all low 60’s on my PR. However all the games were in the low 50’s weather wise all season.

Sep 15, 2015
There were several P5 commits I gunned for a minimum of 10 pitches each, and the hardest pitch I saw was 64 MPH.
This doesn’t surprise me. There is obviously a big difference between top, middle, and bottom “P5” teams, but on many (even in the SEC), the number three pitcher (not just a commit) is 62-65, and on some teams, that’s where the whole staff tops out. Having said that, you also rarely see anyone on a P5 team below that range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023
My
I was at Top Gun 18U/16U Maverick this weekend with my Pocket Radar. I watched the two teams who went to the 18U finals, and a few other top 18U and 16U teams. I gunned a lot of different pitchers, but clearly not all of them. There were several P5 commits I gunned for a minimum of 10 pitches each, and the hardest pitch I saw was 64 MPH. I made sure to get as close as possible and be directly behind the umpire.

Supposedly, there was a 16U pitcher at the Mid-America West complex who was throwing 65-67 on a PR, but I didn't see it personally, so I take it with a grain of salt.

Does this mean there aren't girls out there throwing that hard? No, but it does make it a bit more likely that people are exaggerating speeds.

My 115lb 13u DD was getting clocked at 63-64mph today in a game. The opposing team that was radaring the game was nice enough to give me a screen shot. I was told she was consistently in that range.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-23 at 12.50.49 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-06-23 at 12.50.49 PM.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 43
Jan 1, 2023
My

My 115lb 13u DD was getting clocked at 63-64mph today in a game. The opposing team that was radaring the game was nice enough to give me a screen shot. I was told she was consistently in that range.
And just as comparison, our 1 pitcher who has a high of 63PR in practice was throwing between 58-60mph and the 2 pitchers on the opposing team were throwing between 55-58mph.

Sep 7, 2018
Everyone knows the ESPN guns are juiced, there was a twitter post a while back from a precipitate that even stated so.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Marketing?! Hype happens!

Or just an adjustment of how they're calculating the speed
>> at plate or out of hand.
Deceptive or still accurate?
You decide??...

Screenshot_20240626-064416_Chrome.jpg

Beyond when people are tweaking devices or using them incorrectly. What I notice is when I'm watching pitchers and there are 3,4,5 speed guns, they usually are all within 1 mi per hour of each other (it is technical equipment in comparison with each other) they are fairly accurate with each other in the moment they are each calibrating the same thing. From almost the same angle.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I don't know how you would measure velocity without doing it out of the hand. To be accurate the radar must be in line with the path of the ball, which means in line with the hand. If you want to measure the speed at the plate you would have to trigger the gun at the exact moment the ball was crossing the plate, I'm sure there are machines that could do this but if it's hand operated timing it would be very difficult. And measuring velocity at the plate has complications. Bullet spin would be coming in a lot flatter than top spin, how do you account for this in the final measurement?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831