WCWS radar gun

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I am pretty sure the more off line the radar gun is, the lower the reading. That's why when the pitcher is at her indoor lesson with the gun on a tripod directly pointed at her release she throws her fastest readings. Plus the perfect rubber with perfect landing area helps, too.
I agree that the WCWS readings were all over the place.

This is true... if the radar gun is accurate.

Back in April, we played in Rosemont where AU plays their Championship Season. One of my pitchers was consistently clocked by their offset radar gun at 53-54. I've never clocked her above 52 at any other point, though I suspect she might be hitting 53-54 lately.

So either she was super amped up and throwing extra hard for the entire game, or they try to account for the gun being offset so they add a few mph to the reading, which may or may not be accurate.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Live makes the most honest impression!

imo because seeing a lot more pitchers who are throwing faster, the average of faster has gone up from 64,65 mph.
Now 67-68, That average faster speed has become more common. When seeing then a pitcher who's throwing 2,3,4 miles per hour faster than new average, it might only stand out if you were in the moment live experiencing it.

imo, tv does not exhibit well the finer increments of speed differences in such short pitching distance.

Jan 28, 2017
I know a former pitcher that pitched in the WS a couple of years back and she said she only throws 58 but on TV it consistently shows her in the 60's. I don't remember her exact readings.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I was at Top Gun 18U/16U Maverick this weekend with my Pocket Radar. I watched the two teams who went to the 18U finals, and a few other top 18U and 16U teams. I gunned a lot of different pitchers, but clearly not all of them. There were several P5 commits I gunned for a minimum of 10 pitches each, and the hardest pitch I saw was 64 MPH. I made sure to get as close as possible and be directly behind the umpire.

Supposedly, there was a 16U pitcher at the Mid-America West complex who was throwing 65-67 on a PR, but I didn't see it personally, so I take it with a grain of salt.

Does this mean there aren't girls out there throwing that hard? No, but it does make it a bit more likely that people are exaggerating speeds.

May 18, 2019
I was at Top Gun 18U/16U Maverick this weekend with my Pocket Radar. I watched the two teams who went to the 18U finals, and a few other top 18U and 16U teams. I gunned a lot of different pitchers, but clearly not all of them. There were several P5 commits I gunned for a minimum of 10 pitches each, and the hardest pitch I saw was 64 MPH. I made sure to get as close as possible and be directly behind the umpire.

Supposedly, there was a 16U pitcher at the Mid-America West complex who was throwing 65-67 on a PR, but I didn't see it personally, so I take it with a grain of salt.

Does this mean there aren't girls out there throwing that hard? No, but it does make it a bit more likely that people are exaggerating speeds.
Exactly what I've observed at big tourneys and high level teams.

Aug 5, 2022
18u in California this past weekend mix of top PGF teams. Eye ball average mid 60s but exceptional spot and spin compared to local teams at the same age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 28, 2017
Played against two SEC commits and 3 total D1 commits in HS. One was 61/62 with very good movement. One hit 63 but normally 61/62 with good movement. Both threw strikes but walked a few and not painting corners. Played both of them twice. The third 58/59 with good movement and hit corners all night. See her a lot.

Our HS team has a rising Jr. that has hit 68 before. I have personally seen her hit 67 on the gun . Normally 63/65. They are out there for sure.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Speaking with college coaches timing pitchers at Showcase couple weekends ago 18u pitchers were clocking high end 68 and 69.

These were strong 'A' 18u teams.

Side note:
Southern Oregon is getting a gem of a pitcher! Work horse with movement!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831