WCWS radar gun

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I’m Watching the Pro league and many of the pitchers are 62-65. There are some 67’s. I asked a local D1 Cal State Fullerton pitcher who worked with us yesterday about the speed differences I’m seeing from the same pitchers who pitched in the WCWS. They faced many of the same pitchers during the season. She asked a fellow teammate after an at bat how fast UCLA’s lefty was and she said maybe 64/65. Which is different than her speed at the WCWS. Haley said the WCWS used fast guns and the speeds are over exaggerated. If the guns are off line, then you will get a fast gun.

So this everyone is throwing 70 might be untrue. Perhaps only the elite are throwing 70, instead of every pitcher.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I am pretty sure the more off line the radar gun is, the lower the reading. That's why when the pitcher is at her indoor lesson with the gun on a tripod directly pointed at her release she throws her fastest readings. Plus the perfect rubber with perfect landing area helps, too.
I agree that the WCWS readings were all over the place.

May 17, 2023
I’m Watching the Pro league and many of the pitchers are 62-65. There are some 67’s. I asked a local D1 Cal State Fullerton pitcher who worked with us yesterday about the speed differences I’m seeing from the same pitchers who pitched in the WCWS. They faced many of the same pitchers during the season. She asked a fellow teammate after an at bat how fast UCLA’s lefty was and she said maybe 64/65. Which is different than her speed at the WCWS. Haley said the WCWS used fast guns and the speeds are over exaggerated. If the guns are off line, then you will get a fast gun.

So this everyone is throwing 70 might be untrue. Perhaps only the elite are throwing 70, instead of every pitcher.
Not saying the guns aren't juiced but I have always struggled with how they make that happen. Do they have a program that adds 3-4 mph or say 5%? Is it for every pitcher? And who decides we are going to do that and here's how much?

Another explanation might be that it is about 1,000 degrees in OK during the WCWS and the players are very loose by that point in the year. Most kids through harder in Midwest when the weather warms up.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
It could simply be a difference of where the the reading is being taken. A reading out the hand will be faster than a reading across the plate. I have no idea how different guns are setup or calibrated but that might be one explanation.

Dec 19, 2021
DD was TB teammates last year with 2 of this year's WCWS pitchers.

In TB one of them threw extemely hard. Hardest I've seen in person. Cruised 68-69, topped out at 71. But she threw 75% riseballs and just threw it by everybody except the truly elite teams. This year the radar says speeds are down to mid-60's, but now she truly has and uses other pitches, including a change. And she is still strong at the end of the game.

The other one threw a little slower (mid 60's?) last year, but used location and an excellent drop. This year the radar showed her hitting at least 69 with her drop.

Both have been effective, it's just kind of funny to see the changes. And it was super fun getting to see those "kids" we were watching last year in person out there doing it on TV.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I can attest to weather, practice speeds being different. Games at 50 all through the HS season and warmer weather at the last tournament, speeds are all different. Hot weather does increase speed.

Aug 8, 2023
MN
Just me, but I tend to believe the TV radar guns, until they start showing 70+ mph. It's not a definitive rule, because I know there are a few who can exceed 70mph (but not many).

Now, having said that, there are also times when there's a changeup that's shown in the 60's and there's no way it even hit 60mph, so there's that to consider as well. ?‍♂️

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831