Rbi and hit rules question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 3, 2024
Guys, my dd travel team is saying that a fielders choice is not considered an rbi and neither is an error. Is that true?

Also, would either of those situations be a hit?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018
CT
USA Softball: Rule 11 Scoring, Section 4 Runs Batted

A run batted in is a run scored because of:
A. A safe hit.
B. A sacrifice bunt (Fast Pitch), a sacrifice slap hit (Fast Pitch) or a sacrifice fly.
C. An infield put out or fielder’s choice.
D. A runner forced home because of obstruction, a hit batter or a base on balls.
E. A home run and all runs scored as a result.
F. Subject to the provisions of Rule 11, Section 4G, when the batter ends a game with a safe hit which drives in as many runs as are necessary to put a team in the lead, the batter shall be credited with only as many bases on the hit as are advanced by the runner who scores the winning run, and then only if the batter runs out the hit for as many bases as are advanced by the runner who scores the winning run.
G. The batter ends a game with a home run hit out of the playing field and all runners on base are entitled to score.

So, an RBI can be credited for a run scored because of a fielder's choice, but no an RBI can not be credited for a run scored because of an error.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
And to add to the rules, no RBI is given on a double play.

Here's a funny quirk of old baseball rules pertaining to home runs. Back in Babe Ruth's days, a walk-off homer didn't count as a home run of the winning run was scored by a runner other than the hitter. Babe Ruth claimed to have lost several HR and RBI in 1927 due to this rule.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
So, an RBI can be credited for a run scored because of a fielder's choice, but no an RBI can not be credited for a run scored because of an error.
Actually I believe an RBI can be credited on an error if in the official scorer's judgment run would have scored without the error. This would happen with less than two outs and a runner on 3rd in either of two scenarios.
The first being a out fielder dropping a fly ball that the score keeper deems would have been deep enough for a Sac Fly had they caught the ball. The batter would be credited with a SF and RBI but reached base on the OF error.
The second would be an infield ground ball where the runner would have scored from 3rd on what would have been fielder choice at 1B except for the fact that batter reached due to the error. Batter would be credited with RBI and reach on error.

With two outs you would never get an RBI on the error since if the error did not occur the 3rd out would be recorded and the run would not have scored.

I could be wrong on that though or could have it confused with baseball scoring rules which might vary slightly from softball rules.

Jun 11, 2013
Actually I believe an RBI can be credited on an error if in the official scorer's judgment run would have scored without the error. This would happen with less than two outs and a runner on 3rd in either of two scenarios.
The first being a out fielder dropping a fly ball that the score keeper deems would have been deep enough for a Sac Fly had they caught the ball. The batter would be credited with a SF and RBI but reached base on the OF error.
The second would be an infield ground ball where the runner would have scored from 3rd on what would have been fielder choice at 1B except for the fact that batter reached due to the error. Batter would be credited with RBI and reach on error.

With two outs you would never get an RBI on the error since if the error did not occur the 3rd out would be recorded and the run would not have scored.

I could be wrong on that though or could have it confused with baseball scoring rules which might vary slightly from softball rules.
you are correct

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I wonder if Game Changer allows this change? In softball, who is the official scorer? In D1, I assume you have one, but in most HS and TB games, I suspect it's just a parent.

Jan 20, 2023
I can just hear my daughter trying to logic this - So if the bases are loaded and the pitcher sucks and hits me or walks me I get an RBI and OBP but if 3rd base sucks I get nothing?

Dec 15, 2018
CT

Sure, but in the first case the run scored because of the sac fly, and the second because of the fielders choice. So I was correct in saying there’s no RBI on a run scored because of an error. But it is also true that an RBI can be credited on a play that includes an error.

It’s a bit of semantics, but the rule is “because of” not “scored as”. So a run scored on a play scored as an error can still get credit for an RBI, but a run because of an error cannot.

Jul 3, 2024
And to add to the rules, no RBI is given on a double play.

Here's a funny quirk of old baseball rules pertaining to home runs. Back in Babe Ruth's days, a walk-off homer didn't count as a home run of the winning run was scored by a runner other than the hitter. Babe Ruth claimed to have lost several HR and RBI in 1927 due to this rule.
That’s really interesting. I bet he did lose several.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zs052805