Umps...teach me about foul tips caught by the catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Comp, I was enjoying some popcorn as the "answers" were coming out of the crevices of interesting places. You jumped in too quickly! ?

For that bolded part above . . . this incorporates some baseball into the conversation, but I think it is important as the average fan attempts to transfer rules back and forth . . . KNOW YOUR CODE. Not all codes require the ball to go to the hand or mitt. Some codes allow the ball to go sharply and directly to the catcher (e.g., hits off their chest protector) and still be caught. (No, I don't agree with those codes in practice, but they exist.)

Glove/hand: USA Softball, USSSA Softball, NCAA Softball, NFHS Softball, NFHS Baseball

Catcher: OBR (Major League Baseball), NCAA Baseball
So for the glove/hand groups, a batted ball that goes sharply back to the catcher who captures it between their arm and chest protector without it touching the ground is just a foul ball?

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
When Coach Carl the Clueless comes out
It should be acknowledged that some of this is Good Humor reading! Thank you for it ??

..... hmmm an Umpire calling out a stereotype of coaches LOL....?
?That might be a secret umpire code if they use the phrase 'Coach Carl'
.....Umps standing around people at the Ballpark talking about somebody behind someone's back
'Yeah,... you know I was umpiring this game who had Coach Carl... yada yada'

?‍♀️?

Jun 22, 2008
So for the glove/hand groups, a batted ball that goes sharply back to the catcher who captures it between their arm and chest protector without it touching the ground is just a foul ball?
For a foul tip it must go sharply and directly to hand or glove. It does not have to be initially caught, but it must first touch hand or glove. It may then hit the catcher, rebound and be controlled before touching the ground and it is still a foul tip. But, if the ball hits the catcher before first touching hand or glove it is a foul ball regardless of if it is controlled prior to touching the ground.

May 29, 2015
The other tidbit that came about from the MLB change was clarification that it must be the catcher who catches it … so a sharp and direct shot that ricochets off the mask and into the air cannot be caught by the pitcher (or another fielder) for a foul tip.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drop off Dad to headcoach