Ump calling the Illegal pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2008
Facing team that pitcher Crow hop on every pitch. this is 14u "A" bracket tournament.
1st inning while warming up I noticed the pitcher crow hopping/replanting while warming up. So I ask field upm to please watch pivot foot and watch for the replant. UMP watch pitcher warm up before the inning and even told pitcher to make sure she drags. First pitch of the game ump calls Illegal pitch but batter hits the ball to second base, all fielders stopped and didn't complete play because of IP. I instructed my batter/runner to run through 1st base (no play made on her) UMP said IP was a dead ball and batter had to return to hit again. Myself knowing the rule I instrucked my runner to stay on first and told ump we wanted the result of the play. UMP said no she has to go back to hit. Well after a confrence field ump talked to partner and they got the call right. Now here the part that gets me.

Pitcher never changed a thing and field ump would not call IP again because we had base runners. Well after the inning while changing sides I ask ump why he would not call the IP until she fixed the crow hop. He told me that there was a big hole in front of the pitchers plate and she didn't have to drag if there was a hole. I made sure I told him even if there was a hole there pitcher could not jump over the hole and replant then pitch.

All I got from the ump was " stop complaining and play ball"

What do yall think about ump....Is that how you would handle situation?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Base ump has little to watch except the pitcher with no runners on base. With runners, he is suppose to be watching for leaving early. Kind of hard to watch the pitchers feet, look for the release of the ball and watch a runner for leaving early all at the same time.

Dec 28, 2008
Things usually NEVER go well if you challenge an umpire regarding a rule. You have to think long and hard about the situation and determine if it's the right time to make the challenge. You may win the battle at the cost of losing the war, as that is usually what umpires focus on after being "shown up."

Is it fair? Absolutely! It's unfair to all which thus makes it fair. :)

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I gave up trying to get illegal pitches called a long time ago. It seems if you point it out you're far less likely to get the call. I don't think most umpires are interested in enforcing those rules, even when the offense is blatant. Incidentally, I'm far more bothered by pitchers taking a step forward off the pitching rubber than by leaping or crow hopping because the advantage seems bigger. But I don't complain about that either. I just tell my hitters to go to the plate and hit the ball. That's the best way to stop an illegal pitcher - drive her out of the game.

Jul 21, 2008
Base ump has little to watch except the pitcher with no runners on base. With runners, he is suppose to be watching for leaving early. Kind of hard to watch the pitchers feet, look for the release of the ball and watch a runner for leaving early all at the same time.

Ok.....I give you that the he has to watch the runners but how about the later when no runners on base?

Apr 15, 2010
Ah, what to do...

When your team takes the field, you could go out and install a nail down pitcher's plate about two feet in front of the current one. If blue asks what you are doing, let him know you think your pitcher should get to pitch from the same point the other pitcher is.

Honestly, there's nothing you can do, and nothing you can say to your pitchers. I see lots of replanting, and can count the number of times it has been called on one hand. Like Ken said, there seems to be no desire to enforce illegal pitching rules. I just do my best to ignore it.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
what do I tell my pitchers when they ask.......why can't I do that....umps never call it?[

You tell your pitchers to pitch correctly and not worry about what opposing pitchers are doing. Illegal pitching will catch up to them at some point. Plus I'm not convinced that pitching with illegal mechanics gives you much of an edge anyways especially once you get called for an IP, you have to make the adjustment which is not easy e.g. Kenzie Fowler..

Oct 24, 2010
The illegal pitch is a delayed dead ball. If BR reaches first base safely (she did) and all other runners (there were none) advance at least one base, the illegal pitch is nullified and all action stands. There is no option for the offense.

Jun 22, 2008
Depends on the rule set you are playing under. FED gives the option to the offensive coach regardless of if all runners are safe or not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA