Try out fee

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
For hockey, tryout fees for travel programs are very common. Anywhere from $50 to $150. Depending on the org, some goes back to the organization/team fee (if you make the team) or a partial refund (if you don't make it).

I believe almost all baseball organizations around here charge a $20 - $50 tryout fee. I know some parents will pay it and use the tryout as an opportunity to see how their player stacks up to the rest of the talent pool. Small fee to get a workout in and evaluate your player.

In our region for softball, I've only seen a tryout fee once or twice in the 6 years DD has been playing. But, we're also not a large metropolis where the player pool is larger. The tire kicking is less an issue here. And at the older ages/higher skill levels the teams are pretty well set. Not a lot of player movement. A team may only need to replace 1-2 players a season. At which point the coaches have already likely identified the replacement(s) without need of a tryout.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019
They already have a kid chosen who didn't pay the tryout fee. It's a fundraiser like standing in front of the grocery store with a bucket.