Travel ball check in thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
We've played 7 tournaments at 14U and 3 friendlies. Had the 8th tourney rained out. 3 eighth graders are moving up to 16U with HS players coming back, but we have found replacements. Playing 8 GG memorial day tourney this weekend.

Oct 10, 2011
Not to be an alarmist, but if your DD (or any other player on the team) is counting on getting exposure this summer, now's the time to take a real hard look at things and have a serious talk with the coach and/or team. There likely are other teams in similar situations. If you are just squeaking by at the beginning of the summer season, it doesn't bode well for multi-game days in the heat of the summer. It's hard to show your best stuff (and not much fun) when you HAVE to play every inning of every game, particularly draining on the Ps and Cs. At 18U, I'd take a roster of 16 over a roster of 10 any day (particularly if you have any second year 18s).
I agree completely. We started with 15 and we were feeling great about the girls. She was asked if she could fill in on a gold team this summer but it sounds like this might not work out... I guess that's another thread-how current players feel about guest players playing in their spot.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
We've played 7 tournaments at 14U and 3 friendlies. Had the 8th tourney rained out. 3 eighth graders are moving up to 16U with HS players coming back, but we have found replacements. Playing 8 GG memorial day tourney this weekend.

Would this be the Hagerstown Pony Tournament? I'll be there in the 12U bracket.

Apr 11, 2012
Missouri plays HS ball in the fall so we have played quite a bit already this spring in 18A and 18GOLD events....(24-8-2 plus another 7 exhibition games)....and have won a couple of tournaments and one second place so far.....we got some real tough competition this weekend in the big 18GOLD Kansas City ASA Memorial Day Tournament;

TournamentASA | Kansas City ASA

it might be a long weekend softball wise....

Sep 18, 2011
DD has played 4 tournaments as a pickup player. Her team's season doesn't start until June 7. First year 16UA. Big plans this summer - heading to Longmont (LS Independence Day) and to Atlanta for Legacy. Nationals to be determined, but probably ASA A in Virginia. Lots of talent. Number one pitcher (2017 grad) recently verballed to Tennessee. So it looks good on paper, but many other teams in the area have lots of talent too, so qualifying for nationals will be difficult.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
This brings up a good question.

Other than simply continuing to play, I've heard lots of girls say they didn't want to travel much anymore and rack up all those expenses after committing. Should they continue or play locally?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

Other than simply continuing to play, I've heard lots of girls say they didn't want to travel much anymore and rack up all those expenses after committing. Should they continue or play locally?

That depends. Most second year 18U players who will be playing in college in the fall probably will want to play to stay sharp or work on some things so they're ready when they get to school. It's great if they have local tournaments where they can accompish their objectives. If not, then they need to decide whether they will travel as needed, guest play with another team (i.e, 18U or 23U), or work on their game on their own. If you are talking about a whole team, its critically important that the entire team agree/commit to the same objective or it will fall apart quickly. An elite/Gold team or first year 18U team with college commits may have different objectives and plan accordingly. Regardless, the players should check with their college coaches, who may have some pretty strong suggestions about what they should be doing!

Oct 10, 2011
play

We had 1 last year and 1 this year not play in HS after they knew.

Older DD plays 18 gold this weekend in L.A. but because of surgery on her knee she wont play until Zoom into June in Hemet the first of June. My younger DD is playing 16U this weekend up in Nor Cal its going to be a long summer but hopefully a good one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44