tough coaching decision - time limit game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
For some reason, I don't consider speeding up the game up to gamesmanship. By speeding it up, you're making it more like a real game - that is, closer to the 7-inning game it was intended to be. Also you're sacrificing a batter to do it. That's unlike intentionally and artificially slowing the game. Slowing the game makes the clock a factor (which is not how the game was intended to be played), and it also shafts the other team. Speeding the game doesn't really shaft anybody.

You need to look at this differently. It IS how many travel ball tournaments are intended to be played. The clock is just another factor for consideration. Just like batting order, player positions, etc.....

Those who are so opposed to the clock, why do you enter tournaments that use a clock? It's part of the travel "tournament" structure to get games in. Put yourself in the shoes of a tournament director. You've got so many games to get in and for the most part couldn't care less who wins or loses. Just get the games completed. That's the goal. They churn out games like General Motors churns out junk.:)

How often does rain cause the TD to short games? Often in my experience. Sometimes just pool games get shortened, sometimes like this past weekend the entire tournament takes a hit. All games going to 60 minutes finish the inning. The clock really becomes a factor in these games.

Like it or not the clock is here to stay for the majority of travel tournaments. Manage it as such. You win some you lose some via the clock, TD's don't care. You score more runs at the end of an inning during a timed game, you win and move on. If not, you're playing again next weekend anyway.

Anyone so opposed to this either needs to make sure their team stays ahead from inning 1 and beyond or simply don't get into a timed tournament.

Feb 3, 2011
For the record, this was a semifinal game. The other team in the finals are going to PGF so just getting to the finals would guarantee an ASA berth. I do believe that the championship game (and as it turned out the "if necessary game") were full seven inning games.
That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. If the coach was aware of that, I would have no problem with him letting that reality influence his decision-making in the moment. ASA Nationals berths are hard to earn and just having a good or unfavorable draw can greatly affect a team's chances of getting one.

Jun 7, 2013
For some reason, I don't consider speeding up the game up to gamesmanship. By speeding it up, you're making it more like a real game - that is, closer to the 7-inning game it was intended to be. Also you're sacrificing a batter to do it. That's unlike intentionally and artificially slowing the game. Slowing the game makes the clock a factor (which is not how the game was intended to be played), and it also shafts the other team. Speeding the game doesn't really shaft anybody.

I can be convinced that stepping off a base or any other way to produce the third out to gain another inning is ethical. However, stall tactics such as sending three straight girls to the plate without chin straps so they have to go back to the dugout and get it on to kill time is pathetic (actually happened). Faking injuries to kill time is absurd (actually happened). And making an unnecessary pitching change or two within an inning to run the time out is ridiculous (of course this happens).

I would still, however, bat #1 with two outs for a couple of reasons. Maybe there aren't 50 seconds left. Maybe by the time we create the third out and the umpire checks HIS watch the 50 seconds have expired. Also, you give the other team another chance to add to their lead. Maybe from a statistical basis even with giving the other team another chance and starting your inning with #2 that appears to be your best odds. I've seen these manipulations backfire so many times that I am very leery of them and just play it out.

Jun 11, 2013
The next time you have the time run out on you think back to how much time was wasted during the game.

2 weeks ago we played an ASA tournament with 1 hour 20 minute games.(not drop dead). We played 7,6 and 7 inning on
Saturday. The first one we won 8-1 so it wasn't a 1-0 game. Both teams just got up and played.

On Sunday our first game we won 9-4 when time ran out in the bottom of the third. The other team was brutally slow getting back
into the field, they argued every single play. Had an assistant coach kicked out for arguing a ball and strike call.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
You need to look at this differently. It IS how many travel ball tournaments are intended to be played. The clock is just another factor for consideration. Just like batting order, player positions, etc.....

I disagree that I need to look at this differently. But I do concede that it's presumptuous for me or anyone to tell people how the game should be played. It's a personal choice. As a coach (I haven't been a coach for the past year), I play the game the way I would like for it to be played. Which means I won't stall. I won't try to intimidate or badger umpires to get favorable calls. I won't have my players engage in negative cheers or those designed to rattle the other team. All those things are ''factors for consideration'' like a batting order or player position. But every coach must pick and choose what they consider part of the game and stay true to that. I try not to judge other coaches who have a different point of view of that. If I did, I'd be getting annoyed on a regular basis. So I don't mind (except for a few brief seconds) if other teams stall. I'm just not going to do it.

PS - I've never coached a team whose main goal was to qualify for ASA nationals and therefore never been in a game that had that much at stake, where your whole season could be judged by the outcome of a single game. It might be in that situation that parents on both sides fully expect the coaches to play the clock. If that were the case, I'd probably see it differently.

Apr 23, 2012
DD was playing a game where the other team noticed that only 5 minutes left in the game had one out and was down by 2 bottom 2 up next. Opposing coach had the next batter step on the plate and bunt for a out, our coach seen what he was doing and called time. Went to the ump and sub'ed a new pitcher in after a couple warm up throws time expired next batter walked. Next pitch girl on first tries to steal 2nd to get into scoring position but DD throws her out ending the game.

Just an example of ways to counter another team that tries to run the clock out to get to a new inning.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA

Those who are so opposed to the clock, why do you enter tournaments that use a clock? It's part of the travel "tournament" structure to get games in. Put yourself in the shoes of a tournament director. You've got so many games to get in and for the most part couldn't care less who wins or loses. Just get the games completed. That's the goal. They churn out games like General Motors churns out junk.:)

How often does rain cause the TD to short games? Often in my experience. Sometimes just pool games get shortened, sometimes like this past weekend the entire tournament takes a hit. All games going to 60 minutes finish the inning. The clock really becomes a factor in these games.

Like it or not the clock is here to stay for the majority of travel tournaments. Manage it as such. You win some you lose some via the clock, TD's don't care. You score more runs at the end of an inning during a timed game, you win and move on. If not, you're playing again next weekend anyway.

Anyone so opposed to this either needs to make sure their team stays ahead from inning 1 and beyond or simply don't get into a timed tournament.

Being opposed to the clock and not playing the game the way it is intended are two different things in my opinion. I whole-heartedly agree with CoogansBluff's opinion about this.

The clock is not part of the intended game so we play as if there is no clock. Time runs out and we lose, so be it. The goal is to be in the lead from inning 1 and beyond so having a clock doesn't change that. If we are the visiting team with the lead and the home team is batting when the clock runs out, we have to make sure we don't give up any runs. Simple as that.

Jun 15, 2011
great post slappers.I have to admit, it has crossed my mind to manipulate the game but my better sense was to play the game the way it was intended.as a coach you want to put your team in the best position to win but not by ruining tje integrity of the game.take your lose and move to the next game.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44