tough coaching decision - time limit game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
Had this happen to us a couple of years ago at a 12-U ASA/USA qualifier bracket game. Batter struck out on 3 pitches to end the inning ... we started a new one, and unfortunately it paid off for other team ... they scored like 6 runs in the next inning to win it. I will say that I thought it was bush, but I can't argue with the fact that it worked.

Jul 2, 2013
The most honorable thing to do is play the game the way it is supposed to be played.

Always move the game along when ahead. Trying to manipulate the clock when behind rarely, if ever, works.

So ask yourself, how shall I be portrayed. As a parent, I always respect the teams who play the game more honorably. Others do too, and tend to remember those coaches. Players tend to want to play for those coaches.

Not saying there is anything dis-honorable about trying to short cut an inning to possibly get another chance. But saying a coach who wants to do this, is starting a slippery slope. Who knows what other methods may be used, and parents do understand, and choose who they play for.

the best teams usually wins. These manipulations may, possibly remotely, get a win. But not a winning strategy in the long run. Especially when playing with YOUNG travel softball.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The most honorable thing to do is play the game the way it is supposed to be played...

A coaches job is to put their team in a position to win. Not to cling to lofty ideals about the spirit of the game. The spirit of the game went in the dumper when they turned it into a TIMED GAME!!!

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
I will say that I thought it was bush, but I can't argue with the fact that it worked.

Great point and I was hoping to include this in the discussion as well. Most people would agree that deliberately stalling is bush league. How about deliberately taking an out to extend a game? Would you consider that "bush league" as well?

I think softball should be 7 innings and some of these 'time limit wins" are pretty cheap. Therefore deiberately taking an out to extend a game doesn't bother me so much, whereas stalling, and i mean deliberately stalling, bugs the heck out of me, because it shortens the game. That's just me. Not so sure i've thought it thru very well, but that's my gut reaction.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Great point and I was hoping to include this in the discussion as well. Most people would agree that deliberately stalling is bush league. How about deliberately taking an out to extend a game? Would you consider that "bush league" as well?

I had this exact scenario 3 weeks ago. They stalled so we stepped across. Did not win but it got pretty exciting.

Jul 2, 2013
A coaches job is to put their team in a position to win. Not to cling to lofty ideals about the spirit of the game. The spirit of the game went in the dumper when they turned it into a TIMED GAME!!!

Yeah ... yeah ... just don't completely agree. Before you know it the same coach is stalling the clock when ahead by a run late.

In my mind the day I watch a coach stall, stall, and stall some more, is when I place all of my angst on that coach, and not the rules.

Many coaches go overboard. Ruin it for the parents, and the players, because they don't like the rules.

Play the game straight. Win it straight. Play fast always. Top of the order with two outs and the lead off is a good position. Almost won it, accept looks as though the #3 hitter did not produce. Stupid to get cute, shelve the #1 hitter. #3 again fails, now you are quickly getting to the bottom of the order and still not winning.

Sigh.

As a fan and a parent, I find myself to be rooting for the visiting team to come up and score about five runs if the home team had done the quick out.

I'd also find myself rooting for the home team to end it with a walk-off 3-run HR if the visiting team had stalled.

The clock sucks. I can guarantee you that the biggest wins of your life will occur without one. Learn to win without it.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
LAS - I would argue that from the moment you come into the world you're on the clock. All depends on what you do with the time.

I guess it all comes down to how you do it. Starting about 20 minutes out we may speed things up, but will not stall. We have an effective hurry up defense for just that reason. In the scenario I described previously the other team was up by 4 with 2 outs then walked a hitter followed by a defensive conference. So yeah my last hitter looked at me a I gave her the signal to walk across. They played their game so we played ours.

Oct 25, 2009
What would you do? Down 2-0 in bottom of 5. First two batters (8 and 9 hitters) are out. Bases empty. #1 batter steps to the plate with a mere 50 seconds remaining. it's not a drop dead time limit so if you start an inning, you finish an inning. Do you let your number 1 hitter try to start a 2 out, 2 run rally, or do you have her step on the plate, make contact with the ball (for an out) so that there is time to play one more inning? An ASA/USA berth to the winning team. Just curious. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.

For the record, #1 hitter hit a solid single up the middle. #2 hitter was hit by a pitch. Runners advanced to 2 and 3 on a wild pitch. And then a groundout ended the game. Doesn't mean that the strategy was wrong. It's just what happened.

I think you were really lucky to get that much action in 50 seconds. With 2 outs, I would have tried for another inning. Nothing dishonorable playing by the rules of the game. The rules may be questionable but that's a different subject.

Feb 3, 2011
I wanted to rant about this in a new thread, but on Saturday, I watched our girls rally to put up 5 runs in the bottom of the 6th to get within striking distance...all runs coming with 2 outs.

As you describe the scenario, though, I find fault with the tournament coordinator because of the fact that the championship was not a full 7-inning game. With a berth to ASA Nationals on the line, there should've been no clock.

That said, because you were playing with a clock and because only the winner would qualify for Nationals, if I was 100% certain there was time left on the clock, I'd most likely take the out and then take our chances with 2-3-4 coming up for a 3rd time, starting with no outs.

Riseball is spot-on - having a clock completely changes the strategies and coaching ETHICS employed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarie1234