Too soon to jump?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
My DD is a 2nd year 16 and the team she played for last year folded. So she had to attend tryouts (again) this year. The 3 better 16u teams weren't looking for any players or already had players committed before tryouts began. So we attended a couple of 18u team tryouts. We were going to attend more tryouts but my daughter was sick the second day of tryouts and she chose not to attend. She didn't want the coaches to see her play when she was feeling extremely sick. I called a few coaches and talked to them but most of them wouldn't offer a private tryout and said that they had plenty of players show up for their scheduled tryouts. So my daughter chose one of the 18u teams to play with. We knew that they were a "B" level team when she took the spot but the fact that she knew many of the players because they were from the same High School made her feel more comfortable about the decision. Fast forward to this week and after two practices things aren't looking good. The coach is extremely laid back to the point of lazy and very few of the players take practices serious. My DD likes to have fun with the best of them but she takes the game more serious than this team apparently does. Since taking the spot I have had three calls from coaches either offering a spot on a 16u team or a private tryout.

Is it too soon to jump ship? I hate jumping but I also see a LONG year ahead of us if this is the way that the team is going to operate. I realize that we have only had two practices but some things are pretty easy to see, and this team is going to be very weak.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It is *NOT* too soon to jump ship. The early you do it, the better for your DD and the other team.

Your DD is playing 16U ball. By now, you should know how mercenary TB is.

Just make the decision as quickly as possible and tell the coach of the current team that it isn't working out. A nice clean break.

Obviously, you will not make any friends by jumping teams. But, you have to look out for your DD's best interests.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Farmboydrose