Ticket punched to Normal, IL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
Well that was easy. Last year, as a 13U team, we tried qualifying for ASA/USA nationals all year and came up just short every time, before finally qualifying in our last shot by winning a 32 team tournament. Lots of blood, sweat, tears (and heat exhaustion) along the way. This year, in our first real tournament, in only a 16 team field, we won our pool play games 9-0, 16-0, and 24-0. Bracket play was going to be much harder, but there was no bracket play. Rain washed it all away. So they gave the two berths to the two teams that didn't allow any runs in pool play, and just like that, we're in. Normal here we come.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Congrats.

I've been to Normal. Nothing "Normal" about that place. State Farm runs the whole town.

Mar 11, 2009
Well that was easy. Last year, as a 13U team, we tried qualifying for ASA/USA nationals all year and came up just short every time, before finally qualifying in our last shot by winning a 32 team tournament. Lots of blood, sweat, tears (and heat exhaustion) along the way. This year, in our first real tournament, in only a 16 team field, we won our pool play games 9-0, 16-0, and 24-0. Bracket play was going to be much harder, but there was no bracket play. Rain washed it all away. So they gave the two berths to the two teams that didn't allow any runs in pool play, and just like that, we're in. Normal here we come.

So how did your team place last year? Where do you anticipate them finishing this year?

Dec 7, 2011
The most impressive thing I remember from the first time going there is the bracket-board. Seeing the organizers have to use 10 foot ladders to maintain a bracket board is mind-boggling to us little town folk.... :)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD's team also won our berth to 14U ASA nationals this past weekend at the regional qualifier in Burlington, NC. We did not have a berth to the HOF, so this was our last chance and we FINALLY got it done! It feels like a 1000 lb weight has been lifted off of the coaching staff and our girls are ecstatic!

Jul 9, 2009
IL
My DD's team also won our berth to 14U ASA nationals this past weekend at the regional qualifier in Burlington, NC. We did not have a berth to the HOF, so this was our last chance and we FINALLY got it done! It feels like a 1000 lb weight has been lifted off of the coaching staff and our girls are ecstatic!

What about state? Usually they are national qualifiers (ours are). Moot point now and congratulations.

Also, for anyone wanting to come, let your state association know. There generally are slots available that aren't taken and some get passed out (I don't know all the details how) without getting a bid at the time of a qualifiying tournament.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
What about state? Usually they are national qualifiers (ours are). Moot point now and congratulations.

Also, for anyone wanting to come, let your state association know. There generally are slots available that aren't taken and some get passed out (I don't know all the details how) without getting a bid at the time of a qualifiying tournament.

Our five state berths (GA) were given in the qualifiers. National qualifier in Chattanooga was rained shortened (berth given to team in winners bracket who allowed the fewest runs). Two regional tournaments were the same weekend - Burlington, NC and Tallahassee, FL.

I was also surprised to learn that other states allow teams that already have berths to continue to play in qualifiers. While they are able to "pass down" the berth, they are still knocking out other teams who want to qualify. In GA they also discourage teams who are going to PGF nationals from playing in ASA qualifiers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz