The coil style

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2017
I thought she reset. The first video was her freshman year. This video is later, they tried to get her to throw harder. With her arm and lowerbody she created a hitch.

Definite replant on that video. The earlier one, not so much.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
This one shows it better. I don't know how much of an assist it is. It's very different dynamic though, not much front side resistance. Replanters kind of roll over the front foot.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
This one shows it better. I don't know how much of an assist it is. It's very different dynamic though, not much front side resistance. Replanters kind of roll over the front foot.

My replanter said you use the front leg, pull with it. Her and her mother both showed it.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Here is another example. Lefty Alexis Silkwood.

See how the back leg/pelvis lock up? Back leg doesn’t corner. The front leg is being used to pull.

Her rotation happens after release. These mechanics is exactly what my D1 pitcher and mom teach. They teach to clear the hips and rotation after release.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I don't know if I would characterize it as 'pulling', there is a kind of blocking with the front leg then a move around the leg with a long follow through. It's a different model for sure. I question whether it allows a pitcher to reach her full athletic potential. I think it has limits in terms of velocity and spins, but you can get to a fairly high level with it. If I had a pitcher who was naturally evolving in that direction I would probably try to influence her back, but not in a hard way. However if that mini-replant starts to get called illegal that would force a change.

May 27, 2013
Gabby Plain was a resetter. she threw a drop and a rise, not a great rise but good enough when matched against her drop. She was 6'0" but topped out at about 62. To me the mini replant is less than optimal.
I could be wrong, but I thought Gabby Plain’s motion in NCAA was due to the fact that she was from Australia where she had a more pronounced leap/crow hop? She had to adjust her motion to be “legal” in college. Granted, I have not seen video of her pitching in Australia so take it with a grain of salt.

ETA: Actually it is mentioned near the bottom of this article how she needed to adjust her mechanics.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I could be wrong, but I thought Gabby Plain’s motion in NCAA was due to the fact that she was from Australia where she had a more pronounced leap/crow hop? She had to adjust her motion to be “legal” in college. Granted, I have not seen video of her pitching in Australia so take it with a grain of salt.

ETA: Actually it is mentioned near the bottom of this article how she needed to adjust her mechanics.

The US is the only country where the push off foot must maintain contact with the ground, in Australia and internationally it's not required. The NCAA just changed that. However a replant is still technically illegal, although often not called.

May 27, 2013
The US is the only country where the push off foot must maintain contact with the ground, in Australia and internationally it's not required. The NCAA just changed that. However a replant is still technically illegal, although often not called.
Yep. Totally understand that. That’s why I mentioned that Gabbie had to change her mechanics up to be able to pitch “legally“ in college (although it still looks like she still had a small crow hop). She probably pitched with more velocity back in Australia when she didn’t have to worry about the hop. Her motion always looked a bit awkward to me but it was because she was trying to prevent the crow hop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06