Sprinter Stance Style Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2019
I'm curious why you mentioned Foot Doctor Esia? If its the same guy I'm thinking of, he is not a pitching instructor correct?
Yes, that's the guy. I believe he's working with the 76ers NBA team right now. I like what he teaches and I also think Rick Pauley, Board Member have amazing stuff too. My GD is on the small side and needs all the power from her body and legs she can to generate speed to compete. I've been working with a few other students with mixed results. It seems to me that kids want to spin open instead of drive open killing a lot of potential energy. Like I stated earlier, I've made a lot of mistakes along the way. I was hung up on the low sprinters posture but now for me I realize it more about sequence and shin angle than just getting low to the ground.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021
Amanda Scarborough posted this:

All of pitching starts from the ground up. The feet affect what's going on with the hips, and then alllllll the way up to the head.
I know from being a smaller pitcher myself that in order to get the most out of my body, every body part and mechanic needs to be in an OPTIMAL position so that the body works efficiently!
Pitching is a full body exercise, undoubtedly, but it starts from the GROUND UP.
Make sure your pitcher has these mechanics right

Jul 31, 2019
Yes, that's the guy. I believe he's working with the 76ers NBA team right now. I like what he teaches and I also think Rick Pauley, Board Member have amazing stuff too. My GD is on the small side and needs all the power from her body and legs she can to generate speed to compete. I've been working with a few other students with mixed results. It seems to me that kids want to spin open instead of drive open killing a lot of potential energy. Like I stated earlier, I've made a lot of mistakes along the way. I was hung up on the low sprinters posture but now for me I realize it more about sequence and shin angle than just getting low to the ground.
Yes that all makes sense. Most pitchers at a young age are coached to get the stride leg out as far as possible. While having a powerful drive is critical for potential energy, most kids that focus on getting the stride foot way out, leaving the drag foot (and the drag side hip) behind. I believe his is what you referred to as "spinning open" or monkey butt. I try to get my kids to activate the glutes and drive using your hip hinge. Specifically, the drag side hip hinge.

May 16, 2019
Follow up to a post almost a year old. The FootDoctor has relocated to the Los Angeles area and I was able to take my granddaughter for a lesson. I’ve been learning from him on line for a few years so the in person lessons are great.

Attachments

• IMG_7796.jpeg
    IMG_7796.jpeg
    575.8 KB · Views: 16

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28