The coil style

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Step-style was pretty common when I played up through HS in the early 90’s. It was what I used when I pitched sling-shot and windmill. Never took lessons but always “slammed the door shut” with my hip just so I could be forward-facing and ready to defend my position if a ball was hit my way. Guess I just learned it by emulating others.

To me, it looks like Granger is doing a slight hop and replant in that video. Very typical motion of the “skippies” we see today. Maybe that’s how the power was generated to be able to throw 70?

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
To me, it looks like Granger is doing a slight hop and replant in that video. Very typical motion of the “skippies” we see today. Maybe that’s how the power was generated to be able to throw 70?
It's interesting how some pitchers manage to get it done without 'perfect' form. If you could distill it down, what are the moves that are absolutely necessary?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Barnhill was one of the few pitchers who actually threw a rise with a lot of backspin. But in general I agree.

With the exception of Spediacci, who had good movement. I’ll post her curve. Some resetters lockout the back leg (push?) and lock up the hips/pelvis. I’ve even heard clear the hips. They throw hard muscling up the release. Look at the posted videos and check it out. Throwing hard with no finesse. Breaking pitch are finesse pitches.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Spediacci’s back leg corners just like in hitting as her arm corner. Both the arm and back leg bows before that. You might say they externally and internally turn. Some girls straighten the back leg, don’t corner. I’ll show some great cornering. Instead they get inside ankle bone low with weight collapsing to the inside of the foot. Locks up the shin. Which locks up the spirals.

Amanda back knee moves directly under her. The stiff legs don’t do it as well.

IMB_EMc24t.gif

Spediacci back knee gets under her.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Gabby Plain was a resetter. she threw a drop and a rise, not a great rise but good enough when matched against her drop. She was 6'0" but topped out at about 62. To me the mini replant is less than optimal.

May 27, 2013
It's interesting how some pitchers manage to get it done without 'perfect' form. If you could distill it down, what are the moves that are absolutely necessary?
From what I’ve seen, it’s the stockier, stronger pitchers that I would see throw hard while also having a bit of a crow-hop/replant. I honestly can’t explain why it seems to work for some of them but it does. Would they throw even harder if they dragged? No idea. I also don’t believe the “skippies” are taught to pitch that way. I think for some reason it just naturally happens - and if it works and doesn’t get called, why change it? I do think a lot of them have control issues and that could be why some PC do work hard to fix it in some pitchers.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Gabby Plain was a resetter. she threw a drop and a rise, not a great rise but good enough when matched against her drop. She was 6'0" but topped out at about 62. To me the mini replant is less than optimal.

I’ll find video of her. She threw a high drop and hitter’s had a hard time squaring it up.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I thought she reset. The first video was her freshman year. This video is later, they tried to get her to throw harder. With her arm and lowerbody she created a hitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish