The 13yo female pitching LL baseball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
But how good are the teams that make the LL World Series? Obviously the typical LL all-star team isn't going to be as good as a typical travel team, but I'd think the best LL all-star teams - those that are basically stacked for the purpose of winning Williamsport - would be pretty good.

There was a team from Columbus, GA, that won it in 2006. Just googled their players since I remember that team. They had 11 on the roster. Two signed with Georgia, one with Mississippi State, one with Missouri. That's four SEC signees. One signed w/ South Alabama. Three others signed with D-II programs like Valdosta State. There was a juco in there. A couple couldn't be traced. I'd think that team could've played AAA travel.

How good are they at the LLWS, well they are the best players that LL has to offer with their geographic restrictions and dwarfed field dimensions.

What this young lady has done is nothing less than exciting, she is shining in a traditionally male dominated event. I hope many other females do in the future.

Now, LL is what it is. It is designed to "try" to keep the available roster even and fair. The field dimensions are also miniature compared to the same age groups playing ball in other orgs, they don't "grow" at the same rate as Pony or Babe Ruth. Even the mound itself is shorter.

Lots of people this time of year believe these young athletes are the best in the sport at that age, and that is far from reality. Are they good, yes. Could they successfully compete against the East Cobb's or Dulin's Dodgers of the nation at a national Major's event, absolutely not. One or two players here and there playing LL probably could play AAA or Majors, but to pick up the LLWS winning roster ( as is ) and enter them in a big Majors tourney, wouldn't turn out well for them.

Support these young boys/girls, enjoy watching them perform, but let's not get too crazy how a LL team would compare to a true recruited top BB team played on true BB dimensions.

I did hear a cool fact today on the news, there has only been 12 MLB players who have played in the LLWS and the MLBWS. :)

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Lots of people this time of year believe these young athletes are the best in the sport at that age, and that is far from reality. Are they good, yes. Could they successfully compete against the East Cobb's or Dulin's Dodgers of the nation at a national Major's event, absolutely not. One or two players here and there playing LL probably could play AAA or Majors, but to pick up the LLWS winning roster ( as is ) and enter them in a big Majors tourney, wouldn't turn out well for them.

Support these young boys/girls, enjoy watching them perform, but let's not get too crazy how a LL team would compare to a true recruited top BB team played on true BB dimensions.

First off, I really don't know youth baseball, so I'm here to ask and learn, really.

That said, no, I'm not suggesting that the 'elite 8' of the LLWS is comparable to the 'elite 8' of AAA travel baseball. But I would think that the best LLWS teams (to 2-3 in the country) could compete in AAA events, or be classified as such. If not, then AA. How many AAA teams have four future SEC signees on it like the 2006 Columbus LLWS champion?

That Columbus team might've been very unusual, though.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
First off, I really don't know youth baseball, so I'm here to ask and learn, really.

That said, no, I'm not suggesting that the 'elite 8' of the LLWS is comparable to the 'elite 8' of AAA travel baseball. But I would think that the best LLWS teams (to 2-3 in the country) could compete in AAA events, or be classified as such. If not, then AA. How many AAA teams have four future SEC signees on it like the 2006 Columbus LLWS champion?

That Columbus team might've been very unusual, though.

The LLWS top teams "could" probably be competitive at the AA, maybe AAA level, but not Majors. The good thing about travel baseball is the governing body classifies what level you play at, unlike travel softball. There is no "sandbagging" to trophy hunt, they move teams up and down all season depending on performance.

For a reference compared to softball vs baseball classifications:

Softball: Baseball:
C class = Single A
B class = Double AA
Mid A class = Triple AAA
Top A class/Gold = Majors

Remember I'm talking about an entire team's ability. It can be very possible to have a Gold type athlete(s) playing on a B level team. Or Majors type athlete(s) playing on a AA/AAA team.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
She's getting her 15 minutes of fame, hyped by the media. Good for her, but highly unlikely 12 months from now anyone will know her name. Anyone remember teenager Ty Tryon who was the next Tiger Woods? Some call this the flavor of the month...

Aug 12, 2014
She's getting her 15 minutes of fame, hyped by the media. Good for her, but highly unlikely 12 months from now anyone will know her name. Anyone remember teenager Ty Tryon who was the next Tiger Woods? Some call this the flavor of the month...

People still talk about Danny Almonte. Unfortunately it's not for good reasons.

May 18, 2009
I loved watching this girl do that on the baseball field. My DD starts baseball on Saturday. She's doing it to have fun and play some different positions. I think there will be a few eyes opened with regards to how talented some girl athletes can be.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The kid is a really talented athlete. I hope she does well.

But, let's be real: LL baseball is *NOT* baseball. It has 60' bases and no stealing. It is specifically designed for kids with no upper body strength.

As soon as the bases go to 90 feet and the boys develop upper body strength in another year, she won't be able to compete.

One real value in sports is learning how competition pushes you to achieve more. But, the competition has to be close to your ability level. If the competition is to weak, there is nothing learned. If the competition is too strong, there is nothing learned.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
With the world population now exceeding 7 billion people and about 3.5 billion being of the female gender, it seems reasonable that somewhere there might be 1 or more females who are stronger and more athletic than a few MLB players. Granted the young lady in question may or may not be the one, and the odds are that she is not. However, to pontificate that 5-9 years into the future she or any other female will be unable to compete at that level is a bit much. If you are a student of sports in general you realize quite quickly that it is not a question or if, but when.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2013
As soon as the bases go to 90 feet and the boys develop upper body strength in another year, she won't be able to compete.

Thank God the 5'2" Chelsea Baker didn't listen to people like you. (And they're numerous.) After her first varsity season at a 7A school in Florida, she finished with a 0.74 ERA, undefeated. I know several girls who play starting positions at their high schools as well. One just made the Team USA women's national baseball team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Farmboydrose