The 13yo female pitching LL baseball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
With the world population now exceeding 7 billion people and about 3.5 billion being of the female gender, it seems reasonable that somewhere there might be 1 or more females who are stronger and more athletic than a few MLB players. Granted the young lady in question may or may not be the one, and the odds are that she is not. However, to pontificate that 5-9 years into the future she or any other female will be unable to compete at that level is a bit much. If you are a students of sports in general you realize quite quickly that it is not a question or if, but when.

I was skeptical at first, but the more I think about it, the more I realize Riseball has a good point. You've changed my thinking on this one, dude.

It's all a matter of probability. Anything with a non-zero probability will eventually happen, given enough time. Someone hitting 56 games in a row? Almost impossible, but it happened. A shortstop playing 17 years without missing a game? Happened. Ty Cobb's hit record getting broken? Happened. Cy Young's lifetime wins record? Probably not in the next few centuries, but if it can happen, it will.

Female pro baseball players? Already happened. A former Negro League pitcher, the only lady every to pitch in the Negro Leagues, was in WIlliamsport to cheer on this remarkable young lady.

A female in the Majors? Extremely improbable, but not impossible.

Of course, at any given time, the top few hundred male baseball players will almost always be better than the very top female baseball player.

But then, we have seen a number of athletes who were simply freaks of nature, and that, combined with a great work ethic, makes the improbable possible.

What is MOST likely to happen is some sort of finesse player will be the first female. It simply will NOT be a flame throwing pitcher or a thundering HR hitter. The most likely (or least unlikely) scenario would be a female who is abnormally big and strong and fast for a female, who still has a great deal of finesse. As Riseball has mentioned in the past, a big part of it may be to bring in the ratings.

Two possibilities:

(1) At some point in the future, there is a female softball player who is even more popular than Finch in her prime. (This would probably require softball returning as an Olympic sport). Some baseball club hires her to a minor league contract. She actually does pretty well in the minors. At some point, they bring her up with the expanded roster in September.

(2) At some point, a star female LL baseball player, maybe even THIS player, gets tons of publicity. She continues to play baseball, and is actually good at it. Some baseball club signs her, brings her up in September.

All it takes is ONE at-bat and/or ONE inning in the field to break the barrier.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The kid is a really talented athlete. I hope she does well.

But, let's be real: LL baseball is *NOT* baseball. It has 60' bases and no stealing.

Just like FP softball

It is specifically designed for kids with no upper body strength.

Well, that is not true, but neither is girl's FP softball

As soon as the bases go to 90 feet and the boys develop upper body strength in another year, she won't be able to compete.

Unless she develops the same skills. Granted, the female anatomy is not conducive to such development, but it is not unheard of.

One real value in sports is learning how competition pushes you to achieve more. But, the competition has to be close to your ability level. If the competition is to weak, there is nothing learned. If the competition is too strong, there is nothing learned.

Unless the player keeps up with the competition.

the largest detractor here will be the those who just believe it isn't possible or not "right". Of course, she can try to stay with the boys, but even if she succeeds, the fans, coaches and players will not allow her to succeed.

And, IMO, if it wasn't for all the positive and "fluff" press it has drawn, the hierarchy of LL ball will not be happy campers if she insists on staying with baseball and I think that is a damn shame.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
(1) At some point in the future, there is a female softball player who is even more popular than Finch in her prime. (This would probably require softball returning as an Olympic sport). Some baseball club hires her to a minor league contract. She actually does pretty well in the minors. At some point, they bring her up with the expanded roster in September.

Finch gained a ton of attention and fame with the world not only with her talent, but because she was beautiful. Tall, thin, long legged, blonde, blue eyed..........AND CAN PLAY BALL!! That's the wife/girlfriend every boy/man wants. ( I'm not being sexist, us men know how our brain works ) I don't think she would have sold a million posters or been in the swimsuit edition of SI if she looked like Bustos.

Women are the same way. Ever watch a MLB game at a sports bar? The women there may not know the score, but they sure talk about who's butt looks the best on the field.

Jan 25, 2011
Women are the same way. Ever watch a MLB game at a sports bar? The women there may not know the score, but they sure talk about who's butt looks the best on the field.
Darn it, I told ESPN, to stop showing me playing slow pitch from last weekend. My ball pants shrunk, that's why they were so tight. Still trying figure out they shrunk from being in the dresser the last few years?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I think there are 2 types of girls who could some day make the majors.

A lefty who can throw 85+ mhp with a great off speed pitch as a situational lefty out of the pen.

A really fast strong armed, excellent fielder who can play 2B and hit enough to justify her on the roster.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Darn it, I told ESPN, to stop showing me playing slow pitch from last weekend. My ball pants shrunk, that's why they were so tight. Still trying figure out they shrunk from being in the dresser the last few years?

I tried putting on my college jersey about 5 years ago, one of those "oh there it is" in the attic one night. As a pitcher it was loose fitting, at 35 it fit like under armor. :(

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
One factor to consider in this is the existing MLB business model which few will dispute is not sustainable in the long term. Given the shrinking base of it's audience it must change if it to survive. That change may or may not include the introduction of female players.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I think there are 2 types of girls who could some day make the majors.

A lefty who can throw 85+ mhp with a great off speed pitch as a situational lefty out of the pen.

A really fast strong armed, excellent fielder who can play 2B and hit enough to justify her on the roster.

She's gonna have to throw more than 85. Average starter in MLB is 92, average relief is 94.

The two female college BB pitchers, just looked up their stats, didn't last long at that level. Both had an impressive HS career. College pitching velocity has increased right along with MLB in the last 20 years. Physically, I'm not sure a woman can keep up. "Muscling" is the new norm in the majors, a hand full threw mid 90's over the past few decades, now there are many.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
She's gonna have to throw more than 85. Average starter in MLB is 92, average relief is 94.

The two female college BB pitchers, just looked up their stats, didn't last long at that level. Both had an impressive HS career. College pitching velocity has increased right along with MLB in the last 20 years. Physically, I'm not sure a woman can keep up. "Muscling" is the new norm in the majors, a hand full threw mid 90's over the past few decades, now there are many.
I was thinking along the lines of a guy like Jason Vargas whose average FB velocity is 87.4 mhp.
I think there are about 15 starers in MLB who have enough innings to qualify for the ERA title who have average FBs less than 90 mph.

Beyond that there have been a ton of "crafty lefties" who have made a living throwing 40 IP a year getting lefties out.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I was thinking along the lines of a guy like Jason Vargas whose average FB velocity is 87.4 mhp.
I think there are about 15 starers in MLB who have enough innings to qualify for the ERA title who have average FBs less than 90 mph.

Beyond that there have been a ton of "crafty lefties" who have made a living throwing 40 IP a year getting lefties out.

Very true my friend, but how many women can we name who throw 87..........for outs..........against advanced hitters............for outs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Farmboydrose