The 13yo female pitching LL baseball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I have always been a big baseball guy. I think anything that can bring more interest to the sport these days is a positive.

I just saw on Numbers Never Lie that more people (like 34000) attended the LLWS game last night than the Marlins and Rays games combined. This story has attracted many people. I just don't see the downside
I agree. I think it is great.

I sometimes wonder about the wisdom of putting 12/13 yo under the spotlight of national TV but for many of them this is the thrill of a lifetime.

But like Amy I rarely watch much of the LLWS myself and this year has been no except. I maybe have caught about 4 or 5 innings here or there and none of Davis pitching though I do try to check in in the championship game every year and tend to watch unless it gets lopsided.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
From the outside, I say that's great that she is playing as well, or better, than other people at her age. However, what happens when the boys get bigger and stronger, and all the best female athletes have been playing fastpitch for the past 10 years? She will suddenly find herself not one of the elite at all, in either baseball or softball. If it was my daughter I would think about where she can succeed not just today, but for years and years.

Jan 24, 2011
Its kinda funny how I read all kinds of posts on here about "let kids be kids" , except when a KID does something that they enjoy , all the critics come flying out of the woodwork.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
From the outside, I say that's great that she is playing as well, or better, than other people at her age. However, what happens when the boys get bigger and stronger, and all the best female athletes have been playing fastpitch for the past 10 years? She will suddenly find herself not one of the elite at all, in either baseball or softball. If it was my daughter I would think about where she can succeed not just today, but for years and years.

IDK, for many of the boys at the LLWS the playing days will often end sooner rather than later. Most won't play in college and some probably won't play in HS.

If she loves BB and it seems she does, let her keep playing till the competition tells her it is time to hang em up. It happens to everyone some day. For the lucky few it happens later on.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI

And that is probably why so few girls play LL baseball. The local LL in my town has baseball and softball, and the girls can play either. The baseball program is much stronger than the softball program, but I don't know of any cases of any girls playing baseball.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Our league has baseball and softball. Most of the girls play softball but very year there are a few who choose play baseball over softball for what ever reason. They are kids, if one sport makes them happy over the other, let them have fun with it.

The vast majority of kids in youth sports will not be getting a college scholarship and even fewer will go onto play professionally so let them have fun.

Feb 3, 2011
I'm not sure whether you've heard her speak, but in her own words, she said in a TV interview that HER dream is to play basketball at UCONN.

This young woman has a great head on her shoulders. I wouldn't worry the least about her youth sports exploits being the sole or even primary determinant of what she'll become as an adult.

BTW, upon hearing her statement, UCONN basketball coach Geno Auriemma gave her a call to wish her well. Let's hope that didn't cost her any eligibility.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
No way would I ever knock Mo'Ne for her accomplishments. But I don't think she's any better an overall player than most of the 12U girls I see playing "A" ball on a regular basis. She's doing it in a boy's game, and more power to her, but as JJ said, in this day and age that's really not a big deal...especially at age 12-13.

And I disagree wholeheartedly that LL softball is "awful", especially in the World Series. Being able to assemble a team entirely of town players and win 20+ games to get to Portland is a very big deal, and an accomplishment to be proud of.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I think this young lady would be a special talent at whatever she chooses to do. She's a gifted athlete and seems to have that determination and focus needed to get the most out of her ability.

Agreed. I have seen so much negativity regarding her in so many different forums , etc. I just don't get it. What is the problem with her story? Why do so many get offended that she is playing baseball instead of softball?

Just want to make clear that I was not knocking her, or being negative. I'm a journalism school grad. I completely understand that what she is doing is newsworthy. It shows the general public what girls can achieve in sports relative to boys this age. It breaks down stereotypes. Not saying it shouldn't be covered. She's making history. People are intrigued by her. I get that.

All I'm saying is that I personally don't find it as interesting as the general public does because I've already seen very talented/athletic 12-13-year-old girls up close, both in softball and other sports. I already knew this was possible. I'm not surprised by it. It would happen much more often if more girls chose to play baseball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom