The 13yo female pitching LL baseball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Very true my friend, but how many women can we name who throw 87..........for outs..........against advanced hitters............for outs?

I would ask the question; How many have trained specifically for the task and failed? What would happen with the right athlete and proper training? However, truthfully there is currently zero incentive for that type of exercise. I have had fielders throw 12" softballs at speeds approaching 80mph, so 90+ with a baseball off a mound does not sound insurmountable. So to your point I do not think it is as much a question of velocity, but rather the ability to throw with exceptional movement and accuracy.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I would ask the question; How many have trained specifically for the task and failed? What would happen with the right athlete and proper training? However, truthfully there is currently zero incentive for that type of exercise. I have had fielders throw 12" softballs at speeds approaching 80mph, so 90+ with a baseball off a mound does not sound insurmountable. So to your point I do not think it is as much a question of velocity, but rather the ability to throw with exceptional movement and accuracy.

You might have the opportunity to earn a beer my friend. A 40 ounce of Colt 45 says you can't make a video, throwing 60'6, from a official mound, with a baseball, 90 mph, in the strike zone. :)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I wish we would have had this conversation a couple months ago when I had access to my college players. I doubt any could get to 90mph without some significant training. But this is the type of stuff they love to play around with. :)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I wish we would have had this conversation a couple months ago when I had access to my college players. I doubt any could get to 90mph without some significant training. But this is the type of stuff they love to play around with. :)

You know I meant it all in good fun, but it would be interesting. Throwing that hard ball, getting it to dance, is not as easy as it looks. My DD is rolling her eyes at all the testosterone talk. She's probably gonna make me watch some chick flic now, look you guys up tomorrow. :(

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
You know I meant it all in good fun, but it would be interesting. Throwing that hard ball, getting it to dance, is not as easy as it looks. My DD is rolling her eyes at all the testosterone talk. She's probably gonna make me watch some chick flic now, look you guys up tomorrow. :(

Texted DD who was with some of her teammates. Now they are curious. Scoreboard has radar so who knows?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
One factor to consider in this is the existing MLB business model which few will dispute is not sustainable in the long term. Given the shrinking base of it's audience it must change if it to survive. That change may or may not include the introduction of female players.

Don't think it would make that much of a difference. People who watch baseball, will watch baseball. There is not doubt there would be some increase based on curiosity, just as there has been with LL, but that wouldn't be sustained very long.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Very true my friend, but how many women can we name who throw 87..........for outs..........against advanced hitters............for outs?

The silver bullets in the 90s had a few pitchers throwing mid 80s if I recall correctly. They also had a couple of players play a few games in A & AA if I remember right - though I don't think pitchers. Had they found funding and stuck a round it's probable they would have developed a few who might have stuck in mens pro ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Farmboydrose